Sweet pastry cases

cary14, Nov 9, 7:50am
I wish to make sweet pastry cases to fill using bought pastry sheets.Do I need to bake them 'blind' and if so how is this done so they dont puff up inside.

duckmoon, Nov 9, 7:56am
Poke with a fork

ngacooky, Nov 9, 7:20pm
poke with a fork before they go into the oven and if they have puffed up when they come out, just roll up a paper towel of tea towel corner and press back down before they go cold

carlosjackal, Nov 9, 10:28pm
I never bother bother. And definitely not if you're using puff pastry.

patsprat, Nov 10, 4:37am
Are you making big ones or small ones!I have just made several dozen savoury pastry cases using my mini muffin trays - I have 1 tray of 24 and 2 of 12, so I stamped out the circles to fit the 24-tray and then "blind baked" them by putting the 2 12-trays into the big one, on top of the pastry, if you can visualise that.Baked them for 10 minutes then took the top trays off and baked another 7 or so minutes. Worked well, much easier than fiddling around with individual baking paper circles & rice or baking beans etc.If I'm using flaky pastry I don't bother as Carlosjackal says, I just put the filling in and bake.

cary14, Nov 10, 7:17am
Im making minis and only have one tray of 12 so maybe I will try the answer above pressing the middles when they come out of the oven

patsprat, Nov 10, 9:35pm
I find the handle end of my metal ice cream scoop does the job perfectly for mini size trays.!