Advice on Spit roasting a lamb for a party please!

keb2, Nov 8, 5:14am
I am helping cater a "do" and want to do a spit roast lamb.Any recipes, advice, cooking times, marinades, experiences etc gratefully received.Thanks.

mackenzie2, Nov 8, 7:11am
A gas spit or charcoal spit!

keb2, Nov 8, 5:35pm
A hired one.I assume gas.

mackenzie2, Nov 8, 6:03pm
Is it a boned rolled lamb or a whole lamb!

keb2, Nov 9, 4:18am
.a whole lamb!

mackenzie2, Nov 10, 7:51am
Sorry. have not done a whole lamb, we get ours boned out and rolled, it makes the cooking and carving so much more consistent, best of luck with your function, might pay to google how to do this, only thing I do know is dont marinate it as the marinate tends to burn, We just rub our rolls with salt and pepper.

ginta, Nov 10, 10:39am
Hi, my advice is get a meat probe,stick it in the thickest part, will indicate when cooked.

davidt4, Nov 10, 9:09pm
If you stuff the lamb be careful not to over-stuff.I was at a party once when the spit roast lamb stuffed with spiced cous cous suddenly exploded.

medicina, Nov 10, 10:32pm
The spit hire place should have the best advice to get a good result with the equipment you are using.We did ours with lots of branches of rosemary pushed in and garlic basically smothered over.

toadfish, Nov 11, 1:28am
Lol, I just had a wonderful mind image and actually laughed out loud at the thought.

davidt4, Nov 11, 3:50am
It made a terrible mess.There was couscous, raisins, apricots, pistachios, shreds of meat and bits of bone all over the place.

sylvia, Nov 12, 8:24am
If its a charcoal one you will need lots of bags of charcoal and do fill up a squirt jar, eg an old well cleaned dish washing liquid container, with water and let the kids squirt on when needed to quell the flames from dripping fat, you dont want the outside burnt. Tie the lamb on well so it goes round and doesn't flop around.