Your worst baking disaster

Page 2 / 4
whitehead., Nov 8, 4:58am
left a pound of butter sitting above the stove while i watched tv and it melted all over 2 ovens and into the cupboard below thw stove and onto the floor

tinkagirl, Nov 8, 5:38am
Oh that is sad, sounds like you may have had a big mess to clean up like me

tinkagirl, Nov 8, 5:43am
One day I was making a cake that needed coconut in it.I couldn't find my coconut anywhere and was sure I must have lent it to a neighbour so I carried on making the cake without it.Once it was in the tin ready to go in the oven I remembered I had put it in the freezer to stay fresh so I decided to add it to the cake and just mix it through.didn't work at all and came out with the coconut just on the top layer and a very flat cake hahaha

just_lookin1, Nov 8, 7:45am
Many many years when nearly wed, i roasted a silverside.
I'm glad to say i have since learnt alot more about cooking & baking over the past 25yrs

fenian1, Nov 8, 8:05am
I have done this kept them and used them as a crumble topping for puddings

tielfan, Nov 8, 8:40am
I made gingerbread yesterday when I wasn't feeling particularly focussed.I couldn't work out why I couldn't roll the dough and it was crumbling and had to get my husband to help me try and make cookie shapes to salvage it.Baked them and they came out like hockey pucks.I checked all the ingredients again and there was the butter exactly the same size as it was when I took it out the fridge to use and somehow left it out.The result was so hard even the dog wasn't game enough for a chew.Straight in the bin then.

creeky1, Nov 8, 6:25pm
too much butter in a loose bottom pie base, que lots of smoke and flames when I opened the oven door. que big hunky fireman. I was 15yrs.No damage to the kitchen but my pride was a little dented.My mum made dumplings that we couldn't eat, so she fed them to the dog whichresulted in a very expensive trip to the vet.

figjamto, Nov 9, 5:42am
After a bad day at work.this has given me a good old giggle, many thanks,.sooo funny

rarogal, Nov 9, 6:21am
I think we have all had a disaster or two in our life time, but one of the funniest I can recall is my sister who is just not a cook at all, attempting to make a blueberry dessert. I don't know exactly what she did, but I suspect she used a cup of baking powder instead of flour, anyway the dessert started to (in her words) grow and grow, and she took it out of the oven to avoid it spilling over, it was still growing and she put it outside where it continued to bubble and spill for ages. She was in hysterics telling me, we both were, and 30 years later we still laugh about it!

h.e, Nov 9, 6:30am
it was my first attempt at a pav.me and a flatmate had the "munchies" and decided a pav would be the go,only problem we didnt have a egg beater or even a whisk so took turns whisking with a fork.After far to long it was no where near stiff so we figured if we just poured our mixture in to a cake tin it would be sweet.what we ended up with was egg white on top and caramel on the bottom, bloody awful even in the condition we where in.

fronta1, Nov 9, 6:44am
Made banana cake for guests, didnt have a piece myself at the time.They were very polite and ate it, afterwards I tried it and it was so gritty!Turns out I had used bulgar wheat instead of raw sugar - ewwwwwwww.

firemansgirl, Nov 9, 6:49am
I made lemon yoghurt cake. Have made it like a dozen times before. When I could smell it from the lounge I went and checked on it. It looked great. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw on the bench the measuring cup containing the 1 cup of yoghurt that was supposed to be in the cake! I made a perfect lemon scented doorstop. It was like concrete!

imn, Nov 9, 7:06am
A couple of years ago we had spag bol for dinner. I put my sons in the microwave to melt the cheese. It was quite saucy. He took it out of the microwave and as he went to the table the whole spag bol slid off the plate and onto the carpet! I was mortified. Spent ages trying to clean the tomato sauce off the carpet. Have since had new carpet laid so the evidence isnt there anymore. Can laugh now but at the time no one was laughing.

lotsagiggles, Nov 9, 10:47am
Him which disaster to name decisions decisions. I got a huge meatloaf out of the oven to serve, tripped and threw it against the wall. I do think my biggest boo boo has got to be when I was making many a muffin and using a new beater. I turned it onto beat will all dry ingredients. I was so surprised at everything flying out of the beater I knocked over a 5kg bag of flour and a 1kg container of sugar.

nzbrat, Nov 9, 6:29pm
A few years back when I was first dating my now husband.he came over for dinner with me and my son. I hadnt done any shopping, so I looked in the cupboard and the fridge to give them something. I decided to make a pizza from scratch. I made the dough (like scone mixture) and all I had for the topping was tomatoe sauce, tiny bit of cheese, and picked onions.I put it all together and as I was baking it it rose in the middle (like scones). They both still ate it looking at each other sideways.lol I didnt eat it at all it looked discusting.lol for a long time its been the best joke in our house. Id say anyone for pizza and id get a NO WAY! I have improved alot since then and must admit I now make a MEAN pizza that we all enjoy. Was the funniest disarster ive ever done. He still married me LOL

kaddiew, Nov 9, 7:52pm
My mother always dropped the cooked sponge (tin) on the floor, and made the most beautiful airy & light Fielders sponges - as did I. So no, I don't think it was wrong!

kaddiew, Nov 9, 7:52pm
My mother always dropped the cooked sponge (tin) on the floor, and made the most beautiful airy & light Fielders sponges - as did I. I believe it was to stop any deflating once out of the oven, which can happen, but never did with this method.

So no, I don't think it was wrong!

kuaka, Nov 9, 7:59pm
Dropping the cooked sponge tin might help loosen it, but dropping it before it's cooked should release any airbubbles, so maybe we're both right or both wrong depending on which way you look at it.

neville26, Nov 9, 8:28pm
as a teen I made cup cakes and overmixed or overcooked them. They sunk in the middle and my brothers called them atolls! They used them for hockey practice - they didn't crumble or break! And many an atoll landed on the neighbours roof! To this day they are still called atolls!

kiwiscrapper1, Nov 9, 10:19pm
A few days after we got married I thought I would show off and try to roast a chicken, turned out beautiful but went to carve and out came a plastic bag from the middle! no one told me they put the giblets in a bag and leave inside the cavity of the chook, it hadnt melted just cooked the giblets, that was 41.5 years ago so obviously didnt hurt us either :-)
They dont these days you have to buy them seperately

kaddiew, Nov 9, 11:13pm
It didn't help loosen it.but I'd like to think we're both right.

calista, Nov 10, 7:16am
I was weighing the raisins for a rum and raisin cake in a large container which partially obscured the scales.I saw the needle reach one, so tipped out the raisins and washed them.There didn't seem like many, but it wasn't until I weighed and washedthe second amount that I realised I had weighed a pound rather than the kilo the recipe calls for.Luckily I caught it on time.

Re dropping the sponge - thanks - I never knew why Mum did this, but she made lovely sponges.

tinkagirl, Nov 10, 10:50pm
When I was learning to cook as a child I thought I was really clever and made up my own slice recipe and covered it with chocolate icing.Every one eat it and said it was nice so I kept making it thinking it must be good.One day mum made me do the vacuuming (much to my disgust) and when I pulled out the couch what should I find be my cake minus the chocolate icing.Seems it was only the icing they liked, not the cake hahaha.

karlymouse, Nov 11, 2:47am
I was making afghans and the mixture was too soft. when cooking it started running together to I pulled it out and remixed adding more flour put it back into a baking tin - it cooked firm - very firm . like concrete I had to break bits off it and the kids thought it was wonderful.

raymo32, Nov 11, 3:49am
had my first attempt at eggs benedict about a month ago. all was going to plan until i decided to reheat the sauce in the microwave. doh. scrambed sauce