Pricing food for a bake sale.

carlos57, Oct 26, 5:42am
I've just spent the day doing a heap of baking for my daughter's Girls' Brigade fundraiser, which is on tomorrow. Just in case I'm in charge of pricing, any idea how much to charge! Most of the plates that I made have 10 pieces of slice or biscuits on them (not the huge sized pieces you get in cafes), and some people have made whole cakes etc. Any help appreciated :)

jessie981, Oct 26, 6:00am
I'd pay $4.50 for tray of slice, whole cake maybe $6.00! Fruit cake probably dearer.

lynja, Oct 26, 6:41am
assuming you mean a cake stall carlos57, i have a friend who paid $25 for a large carrot cake at a fund raising stall.

nfh1, Oct 26, 6:55am
Wow carlos, they look fantastic, you have been busy.I would probably pay $10 for a plate for a fund-raiser and say $15 for a cake - depends on what it was and how hungry I was!

gardie, Oct 26, 7:03am
They look great.I'd happily pay $5 for a plate - any more and I'd be umming and ahing!

carlos57, Oct 26, 7:16am
Thanks :) Quite a wide range there. Maybe we'll try $5 a plate (if it is up to me). Can always lower the price if need be.

It has been a very busy day!

rotoiti, Oct 26, 7:16am
my goodness - it looks wonderful. i'd probably pay $5 - $7 for a plate.

auntlb, Oct 26, 7:41am
I would pay $5-$8 for the trays - some have more items on etc
For cakes - at our school galas they usually sell for between $12 and $20 depending on the size and type of cake.The cake stalls and sweets are usually the first items to completely sell out at the gala

elsielaurie1, Oct 26, 8:07am
I only hope your paper- work is in order as if you are selling any baking you must hold a Food Handling Certificate.

korbo, Oct 26, 8:43am
Not sure that you have to have a certificate, when donating to be sold.
I could be wrong, but sure someone will know.
all the cake stalls I have baked for, and donated to, I/we have never been asked for a certificate.

cookiebarrel, Oct 26, 11:54am
You are right there korbo.No Food Handling Cert needed if it's a fund raising cake stall.

cookiebarrel, Oct 26, 11:57am
Just out of interest carlos57, did you use one of Allison Gofton's books for your recipes!Was loaned one today and the goodies in your pic look similar to what is in her book.Wish I was closer, would save me having to bake this weekend, as I am trying to get a new fence put up and haven't the time or honestly, energy to do both at the moment.

lynja, Oct 26, 6:19pm
wow they look so beautifully presented.Iam sure they will sell very quickly.

carlos57, Oct 26, 6:20pm
cookiebarrel, no Allison Gofton recipes. Most of them are recipes I've been making for years (including the chocolate cupcakes, which were the first things I ever baked by myself about 30 years ago!). Only one of them was a new recipe, and I think it was of American origin.

antoniab, Oct 26, 10:54pm
Wow they look awesome - go you!

nfh1, Oct 26, 11:11pm
Hope it all goes wonderfully carlos, and you got a good price.

angel361, Oct 26, 11:28pm
Wow you have been busy - thats heaps

carlos57, Oct 27, 12:15am
Home from the bake sale - with some leftovers that we'll try to sell at church tomorrow. All went well though. The pricing had been done before I got there, and most prices agreed with the amounts suggested here. We reduced prices as the morning went on, so some people got very good bargains. Some people also paid extra since it was a good cause. Thanks for all the input :)