Marmalade that didnt set

aucklandking, Oct 13, 9:57pm
i made it with lemons & grapefruit, can i put a lemon jelly in it to make it set!

cgvl, Oct 13, 10:05pm
did you cook it long enough at a rolling boil!Also did you test it!
pectin will help it set, not sure about gelatin/jelly though. A the juice from an unripe lemon or grapefruit works well but they do need to be green rather than ripe.

poolgirl6, Oct 13, 10:05pm
You probably did not cook it long enough. Try tipping it back in the pot and cooking until at "test" shows it has set. Perhaps the juice of another lemon should be added to help with setting!

aucklandking, Oct 13, 10:09pm
i shall try that now, thanks for all your help

lilyfield, Oct 13, 10:15pm
And if you can'tbe bothered, put in deep freeze and use up in fruit cakes etc.

julie55, Oct 13, 10:30pm
Your setting point is 104 degrees - hot boiling sugar so keep an eye on it and be careful. Buy a candy thermometer to ensure you get the marmalade hot enough. These are useful for making toffee, fudge etc so worth buying.Take a spoonful off and cool to test -it should thicken. Remove from the heat once you have reached setting point. If still not thickening it is a pectin issue - not enough juice or sometimes it is just the fruit. Can be tricky.

bottynoodle, Nov 10, 5:46am
If miine does not set I mix in a pkt of lemonor lime jelly crystals.works all the time you may need two pits depending how much you are making.Sometimes no matter how long you boil it ,it refuses to set!I

kaddiew, Nov 10, 6:13am
When my last lot didn't set I tipped all the jars into my really large electric frypan so that it was shallow and spread out, cranked up the heat (had to stir frequently to avoid it sticking) and it set in about 5 minutes.