Mince patties

reggienz, Oct 14, 10:18pm
How do you keep mince patties from breaking while cooking them

uli, Oct 15, 10:21pm
Depends on your recipe.

If you just add herbs and spices to the meat and form patties or balls from that it should not break up.

If you add fillers like lentils or breadcrumbs then you need to add some eggs to bind it all together.

beaker59, Oct 15, 11:56pm
I just form a patty from straight mince then fry salt and pepper serve easy as, not overcooking helps.

I am specially enjoying the venison mince I made last week mmmmmm that is just so delicious.

davidt4, Oct 16, 12:44am
Me too.There's no need for a burger press or any other gadget.Just pat the meat gently between two sheets of plastic - I use (clean!) plastic supermarket bags - and shape into a tidy round patty about a cm thick.Chill until required.When you cook the patties don't keep turning them over and over, just leave to brown on one side, turn over and brown the other side, serve.

I'm envious of your venison mince beaker.

beaker59, Oct 16, 1:39am
I know how to make you more envious :) its from two very fat yearling hinds and I have nearly 20Kg of it :) need I mention all the backstrap steaks and the fillet mmmmmmmmm that was soooooooo good.

uli, Oct 16, 1:48am
Me too :)

davidt4, Oct 16, 3:26am
You can be very cruel sometimes beaker.Backstrap !

uli, Oct 16, 3:55am
Ahhh - someday soon we will just all come to lunch beaker :)

tommydog, Oct 16, 8:06am
I add a egg to the mixture and some bread crumbs brown them in the fry pan then finish them off in the oven.

korbo, Oct 16, 8:09am
Pop on over to my house, venison mince, venison sausages, venison casserole, venison roast. Don't like the meat at all.
give me a good ole (tame)pork chop or sausage anyday.

nik12, Oct 16, 12:04pm
I've found if you can leave them in the fridge for a bit before cooking they stay together better - well that's beef lol, no idea about venison :-)

niffer13, Oct 16, 10:39pm
I make a large batch of patties & free flow them in the freezer. Some times they have egg but more than often I dont add egg due to a grandchild with alegries. Always cook from frozen & they never break up. Cook one side til brown then second side. Usually 1 kg of mince to 1/2 or 1/4 sausage meat plus onion, sauce, peppers and enough wheatbix to soak up the moisture.
Great for a quick meal when you have forgotten to take something out of the freezer.

uli, Oct 17, 5:54am
*puts Napier onto the NZ tour itinerary*