I have discovered the joy of vanilla pods

Page 2 / 2
catlover28, Oct 28, 6:14am
My pods havnt arrived yet buy I imagine they will tomorrow. Ive been thinking about them for a while now. Cant wait till they arrive!

makerealbany, Oct 28, 8:55am
Hi vampiriousmist. I will try the cookie recipe. Ta.

makerealbany, Oct 28, 8:58am
Vampiriousmist what thread is it in!

vampiriousmist, Oct 28, 9:31am
Heres the link again :)
You could add vanilla bean seeds for extra flavour - to tie in with this thread :) I added my rum essence - was yummy ! My boss thought I had added a secret ingredient :P

http://www.frenchknots.net/2009/02/chocolate-lovers.html

willyow, Oct 28, 9:25pm
They're much cheaper on Trademe than the shops - and better.

willyow, Oct 28, 9:33pm
Glad you like them !

elliehen, Oct 28, 9:34pm
willyow, what's the best way to store "spares" that aren't already in vodka or sugar :)

willyow, Oct 28, 10:02pm
We've been experimenting with deep freezing them - seems to work just fine. We've had some in the freezer for over a year and when we take one out - it is still bendy ( when defrosted) andnice to use. Otherwise a good airtight jar in the cupboard. They don't like bright light. If they do dry out- and they will - a cap(cap, not cup) of vodkatossed in and left for a couple of days softens them nicely, making them easier to use. Vodka is ethyl alcohol which is odourless and flavourless and doesn't effect the flavour - we useethyl alcohol to make our extracts. If you don't have vodka - brandy or rum will do the trick. Vanilla pods are sun cured, so they will last in storage for years.

willyow, Oct 28, 11:02pm
One of the simplest and nicest things you can do with a vanilla pod ismake vanilla pod cream - we do this every Xmas for our Pavlova. It needs to be done a COUPLE of days before Christmas to get the maximum flavour infusion.
Scrape the seeds from a vanilla pod and add them to a bottle of supermarket cream - add a half a teaspoon of sugar - give it a good shake and put it back in the fridge for a couple of days. Beat the cream and add toa PavlovaBrandy Snaps or Trifleetc . - fabulous!(always toss the vanilla pod shell into your sugar jar - throwing it out is a foodiecriminal offence).

vampiriousmist, Oct 28, 11:04pm
I will make the vanilla bean cream for a roulade - sounds delish !

daisyhill, Oct 29, 12:08am
Oooh, that vanilla pod cream sounds delicious. It is now on my must-try list!

elliehen, Oct 29, 12:17am
That's why I asked, willyou.I had mine in a screwtop glass jar in a dark cupboard and they grew grey whiskers.I will freeze them next time.

makerealbany, Oct 29, 12:40am
Thanks vampiriousmist

catlover28, Oct 29, 3:04am
Mine have arrived, they are longer than I thought.