I have discovered the joy of vanilla pods

Page 1 / 2
zuggle, Oct 13, 4:20am
and cut a few wee bits into my plain yoghurt. Delicimo! It doesn't take much does it! Maybe I should use the electric coffee grinder for finer bits like the commercial varieties! What healthy foods do you add vanilla bits to!

seniorbones, Oct 13, 4:35am
you can split them and scrap the seeds out and add the seeds to cream, yoghurt icing cakes etc then soak the vanilla pods in vodka to get vanilla essense! not sure if its healthy but it is nice :-)

strebor1, Oct 13, 4:37am
Aren't they delicimo! I just love adding them to heaps of things. What a difference.

carlosjackal, Oct 13, 5:20am
Once you have scaped out the seeds from the pod, put the seeded pod into your white sugar and leave it there.voila; vanilla Sugar!

zuggle, Oct 14, 6:33pm
Yes, I read about this little trick. Love it! And the other poster's suggestion about the seeds. truly a magical discovery.

village.green, Oct 14, 7:35pm
I got lazy and started buying Vanilla Paste from posh shop in Wellington, now Hansells make their own. It contains real vanilla pods as well as thickening gum and sugar. Very easy to use. About $11 for small jar but lasts a long time. You just take a teaspoon which is equivalent to 1 pod.
Don't think it would work for use in sugar but does in 'wet' recipes or yoghurt.

lilyfield, Oct 14, 8:00pm
Before the time of artificial flavourings, my grandma used the uncut bean several times for custard etc , boil them, take out, wash dry and re use.Then split and use the seeds sparingly. and bury the old bean in sugar after.

catlover28, Oct 14, 8:20pm
where will I find these pods! Ive never seen one.

lilyfield, Oct 14, 8:24pm
Here, countdown, deli, p&s , widely available in the baking isle.

nfh1, Oct 14, 8:48pm
Can you put pieces of the pod into yoghurt or just the seeds!

village.green, Oct 14, 10:09pm
To get the seeds out of the pod, you need to split the pod with sharp knife and then scrape them out.
Vanilla pods look like very thin black string bean. Basically a species of orchid. Maybe google them so you know what they look like. Shops normally only sell them singly or 2-4 per pack as they are expensive.

horizons_, Oct 14, 10:44pm
The best beans are available on Trademe, and they are far better priced than in the supermarket.

bisloy, Oct 17, 8:18am
Agreed horizons - the ones on here are very plump and 'juicy'. They don't really give juice! They don't smell the way you expect.

catlover28, Oct 22, 7:14am
Do they smell nice when you split them open! Ive just ordered some from here.

daisyhill, Oct 22, 7:16am
Yes, they smell lovely. I ordered some from here as inspired by this thread too! They are far nicer and plumper than the ones from Countdown, that's for sure. I have one chopped up and soaking in a jar of vodka now to have some vanilla essence in a few months, and the rest are waiting for me to decide what to do with them.

catlover28, Oct 22, 7:25am
Mnmmmmm, yum. So do they come dry! Im making vanilla sugar and vanilla essence for xmas gifts.

daisyhill, Oct 22, 7:27am
They feel like dried fruit - not moist on the surface, but you can tell there is some moisture inside them. Vanilla sugar is really good too. I am just waiting to replenish our sugar supplies so I can make some myself.

elliehen, Oct 22, 10:50am
I made the mistake of leaving a couple of mine in a screwtop jar and they grew whiskers.Maybe those plump and juicy ones notalready in sugar or vodka should be in the fridge!

antoniab, Oct 22, 6:28pm
lol grew whiskers - they sound cute now! I know what you mean though, I just left the juicy ones that I purchased from here in the ziplock bag that they came in and they were fine

vampiriousmist, Oct 22, 10:06pm
I also get the ones off tm, supermarket ones just not as nice looking ! I have Vanilla Caster sugar for baking, and also making Vanilla essence with Appletons Rum - hoping to be able to use it for xmas baking ! Also tried the vanilla bean paste, thats very good too ! That's all Missy uses inher cupcake book.

makerealbany, Oct 26, 8:01pm
I love Vanilla Pods. My daughter brought me some back from India. Very nice. I buy them from the Asian food stores and they are much cheaper than in the Supermarkets. Hi vampiriousmist, how are you!

zuggle, Oct 27, 4:34am
Oh, just reading your suggestions I just had to get my vanilla (real) yoghurt out of the fridge and "test drive" it. A few blueberries didn't go astray, either.

rusticedge, Oct 27, 7:03am
hi , how much vodka would you use per vanilla pod thanks

daisyhill, Oct 27, 9:24am
Three beans per cup of vodka is what I've been doing.

Here is a short tutorial on how to make it:
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_vanilla_extract/

vampiriousmist, Oct 28, 2:56am
Hi makerealbany ! I am well - just living life - baking on my days off of course :) Try the cookie recipe I posted the other day on here - devine !