Pure vanilla essence recipe

cookessentials, Jun 14, 4:19am
You can make your own extract with a vanilla bean split lengthwise leaving it intact at the end and steeping in vodka for several weeks.

beaumonde, Jun 14, 8:08am
I had a great recipe using bourbon, I will see if I can find it, it was gorgeous

beaumonde, Jun 14, 8:27am
sorry it was Cachacha rum, any high proof alcohol that is fairly neutral will do,
Split beans in half lengthway then scrape with a teaspoonto remove the seeds.
Put the whole lot in your bottle
Shake gently every day for a week then twice a week for a month.
Sit for another 3 to 4 months with an ocassionaly shake
Then filter.
There are some cheap vodka's out there but they can be harsh like rocket fuel, If you have anything in your cupboard experiment a little.

kamitchell, Jun 14, 10:53pm
I brought a cheap bottle of vodka to make mine ($10 for 1 litre) and put the chopped up vanilla pods in and left it for a month, this was about a year ago now & I am still using it & it is delicious. Will never go back to the cheap fake supermarket version.

crystalmoon, Jun 15, 1:54am
can you use brandy instaed of vodka? Thanks

bisel, Jun 15, 4:21am
How many vanilla beans to how much vodka do you use please?

sleyle, Jun 16, 10:52pm
Bump for the answer please.

ruckass1, Jun 17, 9:43pm
Make Your Own Vanilla Extract

Chop up 2 vanilla pods - add them to a cup ( 200 ml) vodka or brandy.

Add two teaspoons of sugar.

Seal in an airtight jar in a dark place - shake every day or two.

After a month its read to use.

You can keep adding a little more alcohol as the bottle goes down for quite some time - theres a huge amount of vanilla flavour in vanilla beans and it keeps coming out into the alcohol for a very long time. I got this recipe from http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Food-beverage/Herbs-spi
ces/auction-296337274.htm

snapit, Jun 18, 6:56am
ruckass1 that is the same one I use and I have to agree with you. I put down a 500ml bottle on 24th April and it is smelling great haven't tried it yet as I am using the last of a small bottle that I tried earlier. It is basically 100mls vodka (mine was a cheap one ) 1 vanilla pod 1 tsp sugar. , easy to remember all (1) measures.

willyow, Aug 23, 11:04pm
We've converted hundreds of Kiwis to this recipe over the years with our ads on Trademe. Everyone we come across who has made their own says it is fantastic - and best of all, inexpensive compared with the pure vanilla extracts