Cutting onions

sharon335, Oct 16, 8:58pm
I have 5kg of onions that I need to have cut for tomorrow (or possibly Friday depending on the weather).If I pre-cut them and put them in a zip-lock bag will they sweat!Or is there a better way to store them!

kirmag, Oct 16, 9:18pm
I've done them before a day ahead just in bowls with gladwrap over top or ice cream containers and in the fridge. so yeh bags should be fine.They do make ya fridge smell like onions for a day or 2 tho.

sharon335, Oct 16, 9:27pm
Thanks, Kirmag.I've got plenty of ice cream containers, so I'll put them in those.

rainrain1, Oct 16, 10:15pm
I wouldn't put them in the fridge, they will taint other food, I imagine they would be ok covered and left in a cool place

barnmont1, Oct 17, 7:51am
zip lock bags would be fine and stored in cool place.they freeze okay too if you dont end up using them.I find using one of those plastic gadgets from the likes of the warehouse (slicer/cutter - you put a whole onion in the steel prongs and slide along a tray) is a lot quicker than manually doing that many

uli, Oct 17, 8:04am
If you don't put them in the fridge they will rot.

rainrain1, Oct 17, 10:36pm
Over a couple of nights! I think not

uli, Oct 18, 12:12am
Depends of how warm the nights and the following days are. Up north where I live it wouldn't work - they would spoil.

But try it out on some fundraising game and tell me if an epidemic of food poisoning is starting up behind you - LOL :)

rainrain1, Oct 18, 12:18am
Thank god for the awesome South

elliehen, Oct 18, 12:20am
.and the awesome people who populate it ;)

uli, Oct 18, 12:25am
. which has much hotter summers than the winterless North - and so even more possibilities spoilage of cut up onions left out for days.

rainrain1, Oct 18, 4:05am
And I'll bet you wear the onion bags

uli, Oct 18, 4:15am
!
Explain maybe!

davidt4, Oct 18, 4:19am
Eh!

rainrain1, Oct 18, 4:24am
just a little family joke which I'd better not tell you on here

uli, Oct 18, 7:53am
So why tease us then!

nik12, Oct 18, 11:34am
I've one two days prior and put in plastic bags in the fridge. that was fine.