Whole mutton

siroam, Oct 8, 4:12am
needing to purchase one in a few weeks for a spit, does anyone know of a good reasonable priced place!

otterhound, Oct 8, 5:53am
We're probably too far away=)

siroam, Oct 10, 11:15pm
Maybe able to arrange something, how much do you sell them for!

beaker59, Oct 10, 11:45pm
Go talk to your local butchers they can get one in for you, many will just have one there anyway. Mad butcher and Aussie butcher could be places to start most supermarket butcheries would be a waste of time, though some could. I'm not familiar with the independant butchers out your way but there is a very good one at Swanson you could try. Ask now and set a price, listen to the butchers advice, then order for the day. I would arrange pickup for day before(late in day preferably) then hang in a cool spot safe from animals overnight Garage etc is fine (just put a drip tray underneath). Remember it will take most of day to cook so allow plenty of time for set up so risky to pick up on actual day I was once caught out like that and the pig I was doing showed up late and twice as big as expected so dinner was delayed until 9pm hence advice to pickup day before, it actually cooks better if it starts at room temp anyway.

punkinthefirst, Oct 12, 6:14am
.and make sure you wrap it tightly in a sheet or similar to keep the flies off. Those little beasties can smell meat a mile away!

beaker59, Oct 12, 11:24am
very good point :)

lythande1, Oct 12, 6:54pm
Aussie Butcher. Henderson.
They have them all the time.