Black Pudding, How to cook?

Page 2 / 2
kay141, Oct 5, 4:02am
I've never heard of sweetmeats but sweetbreads are usually the thymus or pituitary glands.

bounce16, Oct 5, 4:27am
Don't forget tripe and haggis!

mwood, Oct 5, 4:41am
[quote=daleaway. If you put the poached egg on a Vegemite toast, you won't need bacon.
[/quote]

OK news to me ! Will try with a large glass of Stout for breakfast !

buzzy110, Oct 5, 4:51am
Thanks kay. You are correct.

buzzy110, Oct 5, 4:53am
Lol. And even just simple broths made from bones and a bit of vinegar to help leach out the minerals. Marrow bone broth is simply wonderful.

indy95, Oct 5, 5:10am
Davidt4, which brand do you recommend !

carlosjackal, Oct 5, 5:10am
Well you are being very presumptuous. I do not ".have a problem eating blood" (as in Black Pudding). I know what brawn is and I have eaten both aswell as tongue, oxtail, liver and lamb neck chops. You just assume that because I have affirmed what Black Pudding contains, that I have a problem with it. I don't. You have taken the comment I made re. Black Pudding being what it is completely out of context.

strebor1, Oct 5, 5:26am
It sounds weird, but it is very nice with scallops!

indy95, Oct 5, 5:33am
Strebor1, I can imagine that it would be, although I haven't tried it yet. I love black pudding and my current favourite accompaniments are apple and bacon.

buzzy110, Oct 5, 5:35am
This is a little gem that I will be storing away for future use. Thank you for that strebor1.

davidt4, Oct 5, 6:07am
Blackball (see post #16).

davidt4, Oct 5, 6:23am
That's interesting.Anyone tried their salami!

kay141, Oct 5, 6:38am
Yes please, although both are a bit hard to fing here and when you do find tripe, the price is horrendous. No longer a cheap meat. I was told most was being exported to Japan. They considered it a low fat and therefore excellent form of protein. Judging by the number of times and the ways it is served, I would have to agree with that. . I don't like brains or sweetbreads but do eat the rest as well as hearts.,

otterhound, Oct 6, 3:36am
I see New World up here stocks Blackball products - must check out their white pudding.A bit surprised to see it contains leeks though - the Irish version doesn't.You never know til you try though=)

olwen, Oct 6, 6:14pm
I used to like white pudding when I was young (50's-60's) in Dunedin.Butchers don't know what it is when I ask.

BTW do Leckies in Dunedin still make white pudding!

olwen, Oct 6, 6:33pm
You'll be extremely lucky if they stock white pudding, although I haven't looked for a while.Must try again.

otterhound, Oct 6, 7:21pm
Perhaps they might order it in if I ask!I've asked butchers about it too, and they've never heard of it.Partner's brother sent a recipe from Ireland but it was in commercial quantities - would've made enough to feed an army!Had a weird ingredient too - can't for the life of me remember it's name.It was sort of like course breadcrumbs but I think it wasa grain of some sort.He sent a wee package of it over but I eventually fed it to the chooks as I had no use for it.

olwen, Oct 6, 7:25pm
The weird ingredient would be rusk I think.You could probably substitute breadcrumbs, maybe toasted.

daleaway, Oct 6, 11:37pm

otterhound, Oct 8, 1:12am
Yes olwen - it was indeed rusk.Thought of that this morning.Can you tell me what, exactly, rusk is!

otterhound, Oct 8, 1:21am
Brilliant daleaway - the butcher who processes our home kill (and makes black pudding) said if I could find a recipe for white pudding he'd give it a go.This one looks just right for the job=).

Now, what is pinhead wheat, and what is rusk!

indy95, Oct 8, 3:09am
Otterhound I can't help with a definition for pinhead wheat though I imagine it can't be too far removed from pinhead oatmeal. Rusk is best described as hard-baked bread or bread which has been baked to the point of crispness all through.
I am interested to see the recipes which daleaway posted for boudin blanc as I have been meaning to try making it for some time.

otterhound, Oct 8, 5:55am
I may have meant pinhead oatmeal=)What is that!
And what is boudin blanc!Thinking it must be along these lines, being "blanc".