Filo Pastry ?

kirmag, Sep 12, 10:07pm
Was it the batch I got or is it all bloody fiddly stuff that takes aaaages to peel away each layer!First time i've used it.Was a frozen boxed Edmonds lot and my golly gosh did it take forever to peel each layer off to put sheet on top of sheet after oiling.

geldof, Sep 12, 10:13pm
The frozen stuff is awful.
Get the one from the chilled section.It lasts for ages if you keep it well sealed.
Frozen is always dry and brittle.

I think it puts lots of people off using what can be an incredibly easy product to use.

kirmag, Sep 12, 10:16pm
Ahhh ok, will try that next time.Cos yes that has certainly put me off using it for awhile.

ange164, Sep 13, 1:12am
It shouldn't be *that* awful. It can be a little fiddly but yes, frozen tends to defrost unevenly and get almost glued together on the bends.

kassie48, Sep 13, 1:17am
Don't you have wet fingers to peel layers off & work with!

carlosjackal, Sep 13, 1:18am
OMG! Don't buy Edmonds Filo pastry!I've had exactly the same problem with it! I even rang the customer service line once to complain about it.it's just hopeless - can't separate the sheets.it just about ruined my pie. They offered me vouchers which I told them I didn't want but they sent them anyway and I used them.only to find the exact same problem happen again! I will always buy Pampas Filo/Phyllo from now on.

kirmag, Sep 13, 2:00am
Oh thank for that carlosj.Yep if others are better then Edmonds then i'm never buying it again either.No wonder it was cheap!

Cos yes angel it was *that* awful!I was thinking why the hell do people even bother hahaha.

Someone said to sit it in a damp tea towel and that moistens it a bit to pull apart easier.IS that true!

pheebs1, Sep 13, 2:08am
yes but i think that is true of the ready to use sheets to stop them drying out not so sure how it would help with ones that have been frozen together

village.green, Sep 13, 2:13am
Agree, never buy frozen. Delmaine and Antoniou and Timos all make good brands. Timos is made in Auckland.
You do have to work quickly with it though as it will dry out and crack.
You can cover it with a teatowel to stop it drying out (useful in summer) but I would use two, the first one dry the second one damp, although it is a pain to keep taking them off when you want to lay pastry.
Make sure the last layer is brushed with butter or oil (depending on what you are making).

carlosjackal, Sep 13, 6:22am
Yes, sitting the sheets on a damp tea towel is what you do to prevent the pasty from drying out, but that could never solve the problem Edmonds has with their Filo pastry! Nothing could separate the sheets! The second lot I got (care of the Edmonds vouchers), I refrigerated from frozen to thaw and then left the box out on a bench, unopened for about 1/2 hour or so.and STILL couldn't separate the sheets. Will NEVER EVER buy Edmons pastry ever again - I think now I'd be very weary of buying any other type of pastry of theirs!

carlosjackal, Sep 13, 6:26am
Actually it was the 1st time I'd ever bought frozen Filo pastry - in fact it was the only time I had seen Filo pastry being sold frozen. NEVER again!

daisyhill, Sep 13, 8:47am
Funny, we use the Edmonds frozen filo pastry all the time and I never have a problem with it. I separate the sheets when it's still frozen and thaw them individually (in the microwave if I'm in a hurry).

kara101, Sep 14, 12:17am
Apparently according to Masterchief guys you should never freeze filo pastry as it dries it out.i use butter.I put the sheet down on the tin where it is to go, spread with butter then put next dry sheet down on top of that then butter and so on.I find this easier way.I also use baking paper underneath to ensure pastry does not stick.

nauru, Sep 14, 7:10am
I agree, the frozen one is awful.I only tried using it once, never again, I binned what was left.

misskittydragon, Sep 26, 6:23am
Thank goodness for this thread. I thought it was just me but the filo was the worst I have ever dealt with. Lucky I was creative enough and we will still have vege bacon parcels tonight. Thank you for starting this thread. I will look for the Delmaine and Antoniou and Timos filo at our other supermarket.