Chocolate Cake

and-what, Sep 19, 8:12am
Does anyone have a fool proof chocolate cake recipe that is nice! Ive failed yet again and i need one done tonight ive googled but are always missing bits, anyone!

sarahb5, Sep 19, 8:42am
This:

Dana's Decadent Chocolate Cake

1 and 2/3 cup flour
one and 1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
100g softened butter
dash vanilla essence
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 eggs
1 and 1/2 cups milk

mix EVERYTHING together at once!

bake for 50 mins at 180c

the icing =

100g melted butter
250g icing sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
milk to mix

village.green, Sep 19, 8:54am
Agree with sarahb5 that is a very good recipe. Note: if you need to soften butter in a hurry put it in microwave on 20% for 30 seconds and then check, that's what I do if I am short of time, otherwise I leave out at room temp.
Good Luck!

jessie981, Sep 19, 9:01am
Chocolate Cake
2c sugar
2 eggs
1c sour milk or 1c milk & 2TBSPs vinegar
3/4c cocoa
200gr butter
2tsp b/soda
11/2tsp vanilla essence
1/4tsp salt
3c self raising flour
1c strong boiling black coffee
Put all ingredients into a whizz or mixer in given order.
Beat 1min
Bake approx 1 hr @ 160

sarahb5, Sep 19, 9:47pm
I use that one too - in our house it's called William's World Famous Chocolate Cake!Long story cut a little bit short - William made it for his class at school, my son loved it and got the recipe, told his grandma who lives in the UK about it and then we made it for her birthday when she was visiting NZ and lots and lots of other birthdays since but we still have and use the handwritten recipe that William gave my son in Year 4 - both boys are now Year 13 - I wonder if they remember!

carlosjackal, Sep 19, 9:59pm
Do you use self-raising flour in this recipe or plain flour!

sarahb5, Sep 19, 10:02pm
High grade - it's the only flour I have/use

valentino, Sep 19, 11:39pm
Here is a superb Cake, one of the best ever for tastes.
Chocolate and Guinness Cake with Choc Ganache

Ingredients:
¾ cup Guinness Stout (Foam not included when measuring)
1 ¼teaspoon Instant Expresso Coffee
¼ cup water
210 grams butter chopped

Either 180 grams Whitakers Rum’N’Raisins 50% Chocolate chopped or
Alternatively, 160 grams very dark chocolate (60% or 72% is ideal)and ¼ cup raisins chopped together

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
Just over ¾ cup brown sugar
Heaped cup castor sugar

2 large eggs
¾ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract ( not essence).

For the Ganache;
200 mil cream
2 tablespoons butter
230 grams dark chocolate chopped small.

Now the baking tin needs to be 24cm Ring type fully greased throughout then a piece of baking paper cut to fit bottom of tin plus a strip of baking paper to cover the inside outer wall of tin plus another piece for the middle inner wall – al to be greased.
Place the outside paper in plus the inner middle piece then the bottom piece to overlap the edges of other pieces.
Reason is that this cake can stick to surfaces if not prepared fully, a warning.
One can greased and flour all but paper is best.

Preheat Oven to 160C.

Put the first 4 ingredients into a saucepan over medium – low heat and stir to melt the butter, do not allow to boil.
Remove from heat and stir in the chopped very dark chocolate until melted.
Cool.

In a Bowl sift flour, soda and salt.
Add both sugars and combine all dry ingredients thoroughly.

In another bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract then whisk in the cooled Guinness mixture.
Add the dry ingredients in batches, whisking until combined after each addition and ensuring flour at least is mixed in fully.

Pour the cake mixture into the fully greased – lined baking ring tin.
Bake for 50 to 75 minutes checking at regular intervals from 45 minutes with a skewer until it comes out clean and rotating tin for evenness of baking. Some ovens vary greatly in time but slow low bake is required.
Cool the cake for at least 15 minutes.
Place a cooling rack over the tin and invert the cake onto it.

Ganache;

Put cream and butter into saucepan and heat until just below boiling point.
Remove from heat add chocolate and stir until melted and all is smooth in texture.
Leave for a few minutes until it starts to thicken.
Place the cake on a large serving dish by inverting cake from rack.
Slowly pour over the Choc Ganache evenly all over the cake, allowing excess to drip or run down all sides.
Allow to set completely cooled, can be refrigerated.

Hint, best to have all excess choc welled inside the middle of cake rather than spilling over the outside edge of cake, dish edge and onto the work place surface.

Another hint; before inverting cake, spread a coating of ganache over top of cake, cut a piece of baking paper plus an extra cm overhang, allow the choc to set a little then flip or invert the cake onto a dish. Once cake ganache is fully set – remove the paper somehow before slicing otherwise paper could make taking a slice out trickier.

This is very yummy, nice wee treat as well.

P.S. Buy a Whitaker block plus a Nestles Dark Bloc, what is left over from Whitakers use in Ganache to bring amount of Choc up to recommended amount plus.

valentino, Sep 19, 11:41pm
And another but with Kahlua, hmmm.
Chocolate Kahlua Cake
450g butter
450g brown sugar
1 cup golden syrup
6 eggs
1 ½ tsp vanilla
450g flour
1 cup cocoa
3 tsp baking powder
1 ½ cup milk
Cream butter, brown sugar and golden syrup.
Add vanilla and then eggs one at a time.
Sift together dry ingredients in a separate bowl, and then add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
Bake in a 26cm tin at 170 C for 40 mins or until stick comes out clean.
Pour ¼ cup of Kahlua over the cake (or more depending on your taste preference)
Top with chocolate ganache.
Ganache;

200 mil cream
2 tablespoons butter
230 gramschocolate chopped small.
A block of Choc whilst still sealed in package slammed a few times on the bench will break into smaller pieces.

Put cream and butter into saucepan and heat until just below boiling point.
Remove from heat add chocolate and stir until melted and all is smooth in texture.
Leave for a few minutes until it starts to thicken.
Place the cake on a large serving dish by inverting cake from rack.
Slowly pour over the Choc Ganache evenly all over the cake, allowing excess to drip or run down all sides.
Allow to set completely cooled, can be refrigerated.

Personal Hint; before inverting cake back to it’s base, spread a coating of ganache over bottom of cake, cut a piece of baking paper plus an extra cm overhang, allow the choc to set a little then flip or invert the cake onto a dish. Once cake ganache is fully set – remove the paper somehow before slicing otherwise paper could make taking a slice out trickier.

Editing to add that cooking time may be longer than 40 minutes, could be more like an hour plus but be wary of any burning of top, best to cover with a thick layer of paper after 30 to 40 minutes though, also is a Huge cake and this recipe comes courtesy of "Ripe" in Ponsonby.

pam.delilah, Sep 20, 6:32am
agree with this one. I make cupcakes out of this mix