Failed Russian Fudge.

doggybear, Sep 24, 5:54am
I made Russian Fudge today using the Edmonds recipe, however it has only set to half the consistency that it should.does anyone know if I can save it!

nanasee1, Sep 24, 6:12am
Scrape it into a large microwave casserole dish & cook on high stirring every few minutes until it tests as 'soft ball' in cold water. Give it a quick beat & pour into container to set. May not be as 'creamy' as original but will be edible.
Other option in form it into small balls, dip in melted chocolate & you have decadent truffles!

chatsmom, Sep 24, 7:16am
The trick with boiled russian fudge is to ensure the sugar is fully melted before you simmer/boil the mixture.
I also find using a candy thermometer is good.

annie.nz, Sep 26, 1:28am
I second the candy thermometer, though with regret, I hate using the things.Otherwise you need a bit of experience to judge the exact degree of soft-ballness you're aiming for.

I cant wait till the point-and-shoot thermometers become affordable.

jaxma, Sep 26, 1:35am
I would never make Russian Fudge without a candy thermometer . after many many failed attempts over the years, I have finally perfected it and mine is 100% perfect every time!

jaxma, Sep 26, 1:36am
In the past when mine has failed and not set, I have put it back in the pot and very slowly melted it back down again.It never goes runny again, but once it is hot, you can pour it back out and into the setting dish (no need to re-beat) and it sets much better.

patsy3, Sep 26, 4:37am
I have used the unset fudge mixture as the caramel in caramel squares. Was the best ever!

drsr, Sep 26, 5:47am
Candy recipes that just say "boil for three minutes" make me laugh, the temperature you get will be totally random depending on your element heat. I use a $7 digital thermometer taped to a flat wooden spoon, it's easier to read than mercury candy thermometers. annie.nz, you can get the infrared thermometers for about $25 from dx.com now.

annie.nz, Sep 26, 6:18am
woo hoo! indeed they do!Great website, thanks!

calista, Sep 26, 7:34am
Might look into the thermometer - I've just made some horrible burnt toffee.

And thanks for the hints on the fudge.