Wattie's tinned spaghetti

carlos57, Aug 10, 10:37pm
This used to be my daughter's 'go to' food for weekend lunch, but she started complaining that it tasted strange. I thought she was just being fussy, but having tried some, I have to agree. It now tastes as if it has cloves or something similar in it, and has quite a weird flavour. Has anyone else noticed this! I got in touch with Wattie's but just received their standard complaints reply and a voucher! Nice of them, but not terribly helpful. They didn't answer my question about whether the recipe has changed.

jessie981, Aug 10, 11:06pm
Having Spaghetti pie tonight. Had a look at tin contents & does say spices! Will do the tasting & let you know.

carlos57, Aug 10, 11:34pm
Thanks. Be interesting to hear if someone else thinks the same :)

camper18, Aug 10, 11:44pm
x1
Gave Watties the heavo ages ago as was getting so runny with less spagetti in it . Now use Homebrand which is great.

carlos57, Aug 11, 12:13am
Might have to try Homebrand. I don't often shop at Countdown, so might have to do a spaghetti run!

cgvl, Aug 11, 1:07am
I use oak mainly. watties is made by Heinz and Heinz spaghetti always tasted different and yuck. Remember as a child wouldn't eat it (Heinz).

245sam, Aug 11, 1:12am
Us too, for both spaghetti and baked beans, and Homebrand cocoa too.
carlos57, IMO it's definitely worth making the extra effort to get Homebrand spag and baked beans - I have tried all the alternatives, including Pak n Save's Budget which IMO is just not worth buying.
:-))

sarahb5, Aug 11, 1:22am
I don't eat spaghetti without putting cheese and worcestershire sauce on it as it is just too sweet for me otherwise.It could perhaps be the can that has tainted the taste though - sometimes my kids complain that it tastes different but not always.

carlos57, Aug 11, 2:53am
Yeah, I wondered if it was just a one-off strange tasting can, but the last few have been like it. I'll give Homebrand a go. Thanks :)

samsnan, Aug 11, 4:43am
I have found it has way more liquid sauce in it compared to what it used to have. The tin I used yesterday just ran off the spoon when you tried to spoon.it.And yes it does have a different colour to it.