Quorn available from Hell Pizza

Page 2 / 3
elliehen, Apr 1, 2:30am
Beef and clean make an oxymoron ;-)

lx4000, Apr 1, 2:35am
Agreed !

buzzy110, Apr 1, 2:40am
Like clean and pure mycroprotein is also an oxymoron.

Or fish eating vegetarians. Another oxymoron.

The world is full of oxymorons and those who are just morons. For instance - vegetarians who don't eat meat on the grounds of being humane but who eat fish which are the least humanely treated food animals in the world. Moronic and and oxymoron as well.

lx4000, Apr 1, 3:31am
Agrred!

daisyhill, Apr 1, 4:12am
Those are pescetarians, not vegetarians.

kay141, Apr 1, 4:15am
Some people can't tell the difference or don't want to, just show off to score points.

frances1266, Apr 1, 5:43am
Vegetarians dont eat fish.They are meat eaters.Meat eaters generally eat anything with a face and it doesnt bother them at all if they suffer.

daisyhill, Apr 1, 5:47am
Wow, frances1266, you're a real little ray of sunshine aren't you!! LOL

frances1266, Apr 1, 6:00am
Are you a fish eating vegetarian then daisyhill!Try watching Earthlings or some of the more graphic animal welfare vids on utube.Many people who watch these stop eating meat immediately.Fish do suffer horribly, they only contain a small amount of omega 3s, 30% in fact, the rest of the fat is saturated. It is not even good for your health. There is now only 10% of fish left in the oceans.
Is this the legacy we want to leave to our children!

uli, Apr 1, 6:16am
How about the cruelty in eating live veges - especially sprouts - still growing (or trying to) while you chew them alive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=KmK0bZl4ILM

daisyhill, Apr 1, 6:25am
1. There is no such thing as a fish eating vegetarian. People who eat fish are not vegetarian.

2. I'm not any sort of vegetarian. I love eating meat and there isn't much I wouldn't try. As my vegetarian husband hasn't been able to change my mind on this it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to, so don't waste your time. I don't think anybody here is queueing up to be lectured.

lx4000, Apr 1, 6:36am
being vegie IS a Personal Choice and I choose not to eat it (as I didn't want to eat the animals I raised on a farm. And at times I wish I could eat meat again but can not. (phobia). I have 2 kids that Love meat and I would never have made them vegie. Its personal choice.
I do agree that here is no such thing as a fish or chicken eating vegie!

elliehen, Apr 1, 9:24am
You really are humourless!

That was simply wordplay: beef (ox) oxy-moron ;-)

daisyhill, Aug 18, 6:50am
This isn't really a recipe but it is food-related. Hell have just started advertising Quorn topping on their vegetarian pizzas, and Quorn tenders! They are getting it in from Australia, apparently -- for some reason (licensing, I think) it's not sold directly in New Zealand yet but I'm really hopeful that will change.

If anybody is not familiar with it, Quorn is a meat substitute that actually does a good job at behaving and feeling like real meat. It's a great compromise for dishes like chicken pie that will be eaten by vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. If we could ever get this in supermarkets I'd be thrilled, but at least my vegetarian husband and I can share a pizza now :-)

frances1266, Aug 18, 6:56am
You can get Quorn in Auckland daisyhill at some of the British food shops.
Their bacon is good.They might have a courier service to Chch.

frances1266, Aug 18, 7:12am
Apparently New World in Halswell have a good supply of quorn at the moment.Think it goes fairly quickly so you may have to pay them a visit soon.

daisyhill, Aug 18, 7:16am
I've heard rumours of it appearing at Halswell New World so have dispatched a spy to find out this week! I've been on a mission to get Quorn since moving to New Zealand in 2008 but despite rumours and hearsay I've never actually seen any. I did try the British food shops in Christchurch, and Piko Wholefoods, but drew a blank there.

In any case, if Hell can make it available nationwide then it's probably only a matter of time until it's readily available in all supermarkets too, rather than having to do dodgy deals to get it (and proper Weetabix!) from small importers who probably don't have a licence to sell it here. Bring it on!

nauru, Aug 18, 10:57am
Yes, we would be very interested too. First tried Quorn in In Australia a couple of years ago.Managed to buy some from our local UK shop but they sold out and haven't been able to get another supply.It is available in Auckland at a couple of UK shops but they haven't a mail order service for frozen foods.We found UK Wheetabix made by Heritage (so yummy) in PnS in Masterton, they keep a good range of UK foods.

nauru, Aug 18, 11:00am
I wonder if other NW stores will stock it too

mattdylan, Aug 19, 4:58am
you can buy this stuff in Auckland, on Link Drive Glenfield at the Pom shop

nauru, Aug 19, 5:32am
Yes, a few shops in Auckland stock it but that's not much good when you live well south as they don't do mail order on frozen foods.

clarrychick, Aug 19, 9:24am

clarrychick, Aug 19, 9:24am

daisyhill, Aug 19, 9:29am
That link is misleading as it is listing places that sell Linda McCartney products despite displaying the Quorn logo. It does say "There is no direct equivalent of Quorn in New Zealand at the moment" but you have to scroll down for that.
Edited to add: I did ask at the listed places local to me just in case they also stocked Quorn. They had never heard of it :-(

We did get Quorn pizza and tenders from Hell tonight though -- yum! I am not vegetarian but I like them more than the chicken versions :)

nauru, Aug 19, 10:42am
Yes, we have already checked that out some time ago, no Quorn, plenty of Linda McCartney products (as previous poster stated it is misleading).A couple of places listed local to us have recently been updated as not selling Quorn products.