SLOW ROASTING LEG MUTTON

tutifruiti, Aug 26, 10:16pm
I have bought a leg of mutton which says to slow cook.Any ideas on length of time per kilo to cook.I think that 150 deg. would not be too hot.

davidt4, Aug 26, 10:35pm
I cook leg and shoulder mutton roasts at 150 C for about six hours, covered for the first five hours then uncovered to brown well.

If you want to use a slow cooker give it 12 hours, and don't expect any browning.A low oven is much better.

For extra flavour make a paste of garlic cloves, olive oil, paprika and cumin and spread all over the meat before you roast it.

fifie, Aug 26, 10:40pm
tuti davidt is on to it, cook like she says in the oven and it will be beautiful. Enjoy !

bedazzledjewels, Aug 26, 11:40pm
I haven't seen mutton leg roasts for ages. DT4 that paste sounds wonderful!

davidt4, Aug 26, 11:41pm
My local supermarket often has mutton, shoulders and legs, very cheap.

village.green, Aug 26, 11:44pm
davidt4 that sounds divine and a great way to cook mutton. Mutton has so much flavour.
I use lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and oregano, S&P.

bambi58, Aug 27, 12:52am
Lucky you davidt, I haven't seen mutton in the butchers or supermarkets for years! I used to boil shoulders, with an onionand a few sprigs of rosemary. Mum always did this, and had it cold, sliced with salad the next day. She told me this was a staple meat when they were haymaking - plenty for sandwiches too! Not to mention minced up for shepherd's pie!

davidt4, Aug 27, 1:00am
Do you have a local branch of Supervalue!Ours usually has mutton.The Aussie Butcher sometimes has it as well.

tutifruiti, Aug 27, 3:27am
Thanks everyone and yes we grew up with Beef and Mutton roasts and they were very inexpensive in days gone by.I managed to get a leg from Export Meats here in Dannevirke for $19.95 which was to be cooked slowly.

purplegoanna, Aug 27, 4:05am
yip i do mine in large oven bags with a 1/2c water, a few garlic cloves, a big sprig of rosemary, salt, pepper, a bit of lemon rind.yummo.

veejay13, Aug 27, 4:20am
I bought a mutton roast two days ago - it was $12 per kilo compared with $24 per kilo for lamb.I used an Alison Holst slow cooker recipe - cut the fat off, rubbed with dark soy sauce, sprinkled and "patted on" garlic salt and mustard power.Left this in a plastic bag overnight in the fridge.
Next day I sprayed the cookerbowl with oil,put in half a cup warm water,then cooked on high for 10 hours.

It is just delicious and tender, and for around $22 I got 10 medium servings,
most of which I covered with gravy and put in the freezer.