Marmite

Page 1 / 2
cas41, Aug 27, 9:19am
is marmite back on the supermarket shelver!as i have just run out.

grouch, Aug 27, 8:09pm
No not yet!

harrislucinda, Aug 27, 10:21pm
ihavestillsomemarmitebutsaidon herepromitesobroughtsomewasjustasgood

dwyn5, Aug 28, 4:09am
Marmite has a new name in our household.3yr old granddaughter and her mum staying here on holiday.Mum asked 3yr old what she wanted on her toast and the reply was "Black jam"Had us all beat until she pointed to it in the fridge!

twoboys4us, Aug 28, 4:16am
Heard that it might not be back on shelves till December!

jenniferanne, Aug 28, 8:50am
Emailed Marmite people - reply was they have found way more repairs needed at factory than first thought required.

and we have no Marmite - had run out and not replaced when shortage happened.I hate vegemite

village.green, Aug 28, 9:24am
Buy English Marmite (Our Mate) in the shops here, far superior to the kiwi and Aussie stuff.
.backs out of room quietly.

dibble35, Aug 28, 6:55pm
Stirrer!
We have about 1/4 of a jar left. mmmm, and i've tried vegemite, nowhere near as good,

my_savannah, Aug 29, 1:04am
Yep village.green, I totally agree but there again I'm a pom and was raised on the stuff!

wayneandjudith, Aug 29, 4:21am
English Marmite - mmmmmmm! Wish it was cheaper here!

village.green, Aug 29, 8:49pm
There is a UK shop here and I normally buy the large 500g jar, surprisingly itworks out cheaper to buy 4 of the small 125g jars from supermarket.
Don't get me started on that insipid chocolate drink called Milo - yukko!
I can't really call myself a whingeing pom as I've lived here longer than I lived in UK now ha ha!)

sarahb5, Aug 29, 11:56pm
Oooo - where's the English shop near you!I am already contemplating a trip down your way just to go to the archery shop so could do both in the same trip.

I just buy Our Mate from Countdown or sometimes my mum sends me a jar from the UK but it's definitely better than NZ Marmite .

sarahb5, Aug 29, 11:57pm
I was raised on Bovril but still prefer "Our Mate" . (and Birds Custard - not together though!)

daleaway, Aug 30, 12:24am
Sarah the English shop isTastes of the UK and it is at 73 Milson Line ina small block of shops which includes a large wholesale butcher. Look for the Union Flag (what else!).
I was in there yesterday and can let you know they are out of Jaffa Cakes at the moment, waiting for a shipment to arrive! But they have ham stock cubes and Fry's Chocolate Cream at a very good price.

sarahb5, Aug 30, 12:39am
I'm 3 hours away so will call in next time I'm driving to Wellington I think - or make a trip over the summer holidays

daleaway, Aug 30, 1:02am
If you are driving to Wellington, there is also a UK foods shop in Jackson Street Petone. UK Goodies, 327 Jackson Street. It does not do mail order.
But Tastes of the UK does sell online - their regular web page is down at the mo but they told me to order off their Facebook page.

sarahb5, Aug 30, 1:49am
My daughter went to UK Goodies (she lives in Wellington) but said they had very little and it was very expensive

devalois, Aug 30, 3:31am
We still have three large jars! devalois

danjoboys, Aug 30, 4:42am
Nup none in my household and kids getting desperate - only thing that worries me is the price they will put on it when it is back on the shelves! Vegemite for me :)

sherrie, Aug 30, 10:33pm
My kids love marmite in this house!Brought Promite and they like it and are now onto the 2nd jar so must be ok!Still missing marmite thou!

village.green, Aug 30, 11:31pm
sarahb5 I see you are in New Plymouth. Yes the one in PN mentioned above is very well stocked but I must say it is quite pricey so unless there is something you can live without I wouldn't bother, but that's just me. If you can afford to treat yourself then I would say go for it. Not sure if they do mail order!

sarahb5, Aug 30, 11:32pm
Thanks - yes I think they do mail order - apparently my brother (who lives in Blenheim) has spotted something on their shelves that he wants so might make a trip down.Who ever needed an excuse to shop anyway!!

village.green, Aug 30, 11:33pm
My kiwi born son asked me what Jaffa Cakes were after listening to a UK comedy thingy on his iPod so I bought a packet for him to try, then his friend became obsessed and went and spent his pocket money on about 7 packets of them. Madness.

sarahb5, Aug 30, 11:39pm
Ha ha - it's a boy thing - all or nothing!I used to love Jaffa Cakes so bought a packet when the UK shop was still open in Wellington (Cool Britannia) but they weren't as good as I remembered.What I do miss are those caramel wafers biscuits - sometimes we can get them here in NP but not a regular supply unfortunately and hubby can't survive winter without Ready Brek!

kuaka, Sep 1, 10:11am
What I miss are cherry pie fillings and battenburg cakes, and yes, Milo seems to have deteriorated in taste recently.It used to be much more chocolately and more malty.Horlicks was always a favourite, but always expensive.