Homebrand, Pams, Budget food. Whats good/bad?

Page 3 / 5
elliehen, Mar 7, 10:08pm
Homebrand 1kg blocks of Tasty Cheese really are tasty and have no animal rennet in them so are also good for strict vegetarians.

celco, Mar 7, 10:17pm
I buy a bottle of Handy Andy & fill up spray bottles: 1 for the kitchen, 1 for the bathroom & I fill up the toilet cleaner bottle as well.I started doing this about 6 wks ago & I still haven't used up my original bottle of handy andy.Yes I do use the kitchen one several times a day & use the others a couple of times a wk.It really saves a lot of money on buying so many cleaning products.

dibble35, Mar 7, 10:56pm
Last lot of baking paper i bought from countdown was the select woolworths brand - dont know if this is the same but was the best price and its been fine. Never used to use baking paper but do all the time now - great stuff

dibble35, Mar 7, 10:56pm
LOL, hope you took it back

dibble35, Mar 7, 10:59pm
what about the cinderalla brand. any good, have bought the cindrella brand reduced cream for making dip and my sister moans about the taste every time.

spot20, Mar 7, 11:03pm
x1
What about frozen pastry! Any preferences.

lythande1, Mar 7, 11:11pm
Well let's see, I find avoiding the supermarket mostly is the best.
Four, toilet paper, soap, washing powder, cleaning stuff, veges, meat, milk, fruit all cheaper elsewhere.

Grow your own whatever you use most of and can freeze or bottle.
Don't buy ready made anything.
Shop around for the rest.

indy95, Mar 7, 11:24pm
I avoid Budget brand completely, occasionally buy Pam's, and now buy some of the Homebrand or Signature baking products, sometimes Signature bread and large cans of Homebrand fruit. The only things I have had a problem with are Homebrand icing sugar which is sometimes gritty and their marshmallows which have a strange texture and a "crusty" coating. I've also recently started using some Homebrand cleaning products.

lillol, Mar 7, 11:42pm
Coffee - the only thing I don't like is the coffee, it's just yuk. We buy everything Homebrand or Pams as we are on a really tight budget, don't even notice the difference anymore.

deluxe4u, Mar 7, 11:49pm
Pams canned mangoes really sour at the moment but Pams basmati rice excellent.

winnie231, Mar 7, 11:58pm
Homebrand baby corn cuts & roasted peanuts from Countdown.
Pams crunchy peanut butter (it has no added sugar) 1kg jar from New World.

olwen, Mar 8, 12:25am
Pam's Anzac biscuits, SR Wheat & Sesame crackers, Multix baking paper from Countdown (a huge roll).Pam's sheet frozen pastry (it has a snaplock bag) and Pam's spices in little snaplock bags or Signature range in nice glass bottles to refill.I like Homebrand coconut cream

olwen, Mar 8, 12:34am
I forget which pineapple it was but one cheap brand had a distinctive blue pull tab found on a brand at twice the price.

dibble35, Mar 8, 2:03am
homebrand brown sugar I find gross, chelsea much nicer in baking, on porridge etc, they have completley diff consistancy, chelsea is soft ish,the homebrand very grainy.
Homebrand muesli/baked type bars i dont like either.

seniorbones, Mar 8, 2:17am
I dont like most of homebrand at all, Dont mind the signature range especially the cooking chocolate is good. But there is a large pack of glad wrap type product which is either home brand or SR and its better than glad wrap, sticks to everything and its in a huge boxabout 3 times bigger than glad wrap good value. I dont mind the signature brand bread but lately molenburg (sp) has been on super special P&S had it for $1.95! today they have TASTY cheese for $8.95! freezers well too, my favourite is p&s it costs more to try and shop around and compare prices.

craig04, Mar 9, 3:04am
I really like Homebrand for the basics - it's good quality stuff as a general rule. I particularly like their diced tomatoes in juice - really good colour. I like their tomato sauce, tomato paste, peach slices and peanut butter. I also buy the basmati rice; flour (all types); cocoa; brown, white, caster and raw sugar; dried pasta; cheese blocks; cream; butter; and cereals such as wheat biscuits, cornflakes and rice pops. In fact my trolley is very homebrand-heavy! I hate their bread though - but I hate all shop bread these days, and I don't like their frozen veg, tortillas, or any other 'processed' type food.

kiwigoldie, Mar 9, 4:28am
same

and signature range cocoa as mentioned above is great.only one to use.
i use the liquid clothes wash in the mid-blue plastic container and find that excellent.
homebrand tortilla wraps 15 in pack for a good price.
homebrand flour and sugars
budget multigrain toast bread from New World
oh and defiantely homebrand tomato paste and pasta sauces

see homebrand = countdown home brand.

deus701, Mar 9, 4:35am
for me, the home brands u find in countdown are decent. The ones like Budget at Pak n Sav are totally crap and a waste of money. eg choc fingers.

clair4, Mar 9, 5:06am
Pam's Peanut Butter.Made in China

dons14, Mar 9, 6:48am
Signature range crackers from countdown are really yummy. I wouldn't buy any other brands now.

chatsmom, Mar 9, 7:03am
Signature range choc chips are very good with cocoa solids in them.
I also like the Pams cocoa powder.
Only problem can be when they change supplier for their brands :(

ksr, Mar 9, 7:07am
Budget tomatoes - from ITALY

willyow, Mar 9, 7:08am
We get the Pams instant coffeeand love it - we used to get Nestle which costs more, but we found it had a slightly bitter or over roasted flavour when compared with Pams, which is quite smooth. A TIP:The way to make a great cup of instant coffeeis to warm the milk for 25seconds in the microwave - THENaddthe instant coffee and stir before adding hot water. That way - the coffee oils ( where the flavour us) come out and it tastes much better.

willyow, Mar 9, 7:12am
Or try searching Trademe- there arelots of top quality food products at bargain prices if you search.

toadfish, Mar 9, 5:56pm
Looking in my pantry.

Iuse homebrand flour, we buy budget bread - the toast slice multigrain. Budget tinned chopped tomatoes. Homebrand chocolate chippie cookies are THE BEST. not the ones in the foil pack, but the ones in the white plastic bags. they are smaller, crunchy and delicious (Think others may have discovered them as well as they are often out of stock). Home brand barley sugars. Homebrand corn kernals, Select (woolworths) Kidney Beans, Budget handwash ($2.20 for 1 litre). Signature range chocolate chips, homebrand sugar,Homebrand tortillas, home brand milk.think thats about it.Not a house brand but we buy Special Blend Coffee, you can get it on special for under $3 and tastes like Nescafe Classic.

Would not buy homebrand beetroot again bleurgh.
I tend to try it. then either continue or give up. the above is what I have stuck with.
PS - I find you get what you pay for with toilet paper, so I tend to stock up on the good stuff when its on a good special - cheap rolls in this house are gone in a flash.