Homebrand, Pams, Budget food. Whats good/bad?

Page 2 / 5
ggmd, Feb 28, 8:18am
Budget soda water is great, it keeps it's fizz for longer and does not have the awful after-taste that all the others have.

Homebrand cling film 300m pack, lasts for ever and is very well priced.

malcovy, Feb 28, 9:01am
I found the same thing with budget lemonade, it keeps fizzy for such a long time unlike sprite.
My partner raved about budget chocolate fingers so I bought some for him and they are horrible which surprised me as surprising the house brands are really good, minus the coffee.

malcovy, Feb 28, 9:05am
Instead of buying expensive baking paper I use Pams imitation greaseproof paper and Home brand cooking spray.I sort out the shaping of the paper, lightly spray the tin, put paper in and respray.Absolutely brilliant.

lindylambchops1, Feb 28, 9:09am
I now empty the jar into ice cube trays.this works fairly well.Thanks for the zip lock bag idea too.

donnabeth, Feb 28, 8:47pm
I remember watching 'Fair go' when I was a kid and the only choice was Watties or Oak for tinned products. They said at the time that it was exactly the same stock. At a certain time the labels were changed and the processing continued. I prefer Pams or Budget over the Countdown brands I want to try Shotz, which is supposed to be Persil. So far I haven't found anything the same as Weetbix, but will try the Homebrand. Much of this comes down to personal taste and what we're used to. My MIL says no coffee tastes as good as Bushells, I used to only drink Greggs and now I'm Moccona. I'm with the Budget soda water. 79c a bottle and I see it going into my gin at a bar or restaurant where they hide Budget behind the name brands.

propagator, Feb 29, 3:17am
Pams Blackcurrant Jamand Marmalde are my choice.Pams 3ply toilet paper is the best and cheapest.Hard to find 3 ply paper. lol.

malcovy, Feb 29, 4:26am
Donnabeth I recommend sticking with weetbix.I have tried most and weetbix is the nicest even though I don't eat it.The other weetbix that wasn't eaten was used in baking.

dibble35, Feb 29, 6:00am
I think someone earlier in this thread said that homebrand! wheatbiscuits/bix and sanitarium weetbix are one and the same, their hubby saw them being boxed up at the weetbix factory. May have the barnd wrong but it was one of the shops brands

donnabeth, Mar 5, 12:34am
Thanks to the person who said Pam's Classic mayo is as good as BF. I tried it and would agree. Still had a little of the blue jar left and so dipped thespoon into each jar to compare. It does taste a bit different, but not much considering the saving was over $1.

dibble35, Mar 5, 5:17am
Homebrand salsa is apparently pretty good, had some on sunday and my sister asked what brand it was as it was a lot nicer than Pams brand she reckoned

crails, Mar 5, 7:13am
Pam's Multigrain Bread is excellent

dibble35, Mar 7, 8:08pm
as a lot of us are watching the pennies thought it would be good to start this thread on which supermarket brand products are good/great and which arn't worth wasting your money on. Maybe mention which supermarket chain they come from in your post.

dibble35, Mar 7, 8:11pm
Countdown - homebrand their cocoa is great, really rich and dark. I prefer their peanut butter to the rest. quite sweet, and their weet biscuits are good, cant really tell the diff from other brands.

dibble35, Mar 7, 8:13pm
Countdown again, I buy their signature range multigrain bread. same or very similar to molenburg at much better price. but dont like their homebrand white bread, like eating plastic.

ambr, Mar 7, 8:28pm
Large cans of Homebrand peaches are just the best!

lilyfield, Mar 7, 8:34pm
budget and pams are both the same

baalamb, Mar 7, 8:38pm
I haven't tried it lately, but I found Budget tinned pineapple wasn't very nice - for the few cents you saved it was yuk. However that was years ago - it may have improved - I'd be interested to know how people find it to be now.

herself, Mar 7, 8:44pm
Pams Classic Mayonnaise American Style (with Egg) is delicious.As good as Best Mayo and the cost is a lot less!I loved Best Mayo but now a permanent convert to Pams Classic!

roundtop, Mar 7, 8:46pm
Dont buy Pams condensed milk it just not the same as highlander

kinger3, Mar 7, 9:07pm
Ok it's not food but stay well clear of Homebrand baking paper!

jrussell3, Mar 7, 9:08pm
Homebrand - flour(I use for making bread), peanut butter, dishwash, jif type cleaner, canola oil, milk powder and tinned fruit all seems fine. I tried the creamed corn but there was a bit too much crem and not enough corn for my liking.

245sam, Mar 7, 9:42pm
Homebrand spaghetti and baked beans - our choice in preference to all other readily available brands e.g. Budget, Wattie's. - there's plenty of spaghetti/baked beans rather than a lot of thin tomato sauce with, particularly in the case of the Budget brand, a minority of small pieces of spaghetti or baked beans.:-))

kassie48, Mar 7, 9:49pm
Agree, too runny & useless for dressing

patxyz, Mar 7, 9:56pm
Years ago I bought a can of Budget Pear Halves (Halfs!) and that is exactly what I got.1 pear cut in half.

punkinthefirst, Mar 7, 9:58pm
Homebrand Breakfast Marmalade is orange-y and fresh-tasting - the nicest marmalade I've eaten in a long time.
I also enjoy Countdowns SR wholegrain bread.