Homebrand, Pams, Budget food. Whats good/bad?

Page 4 / 5
kokopuff, Aug 10, 1:44am
Anyone tried the homebrand tin cornedbeef ! any good.

village.green, Aug 10, 2:21am
Homebrand tomato paste in a jar is the most economical I have found from all the other supermarkets. Tomatoes are the only ingredients. I use a lot of tom paste in my cooking. Also their pasta at 89c for 500g is very good value and our family likes, cheaper again to buy the 1kg packets.

toadfish, Aug 10, 7:08pm
I now buy budget milk as well, the label before put me off (sad but true), but the new packaging is not so in your face and worth it it save over $1 for a 2 litre. We have pams peas and mixed veg in the freezer to add to my above list.And interestingly, have not seen those homebrand biscuits mentioned above in a very long time, but find the budget biscuits just as good as farmbake style cookies. probably made in the same factory.

dibble35, Aug 10, 9:51pm
Hey toadfish. I've always bought budget milk. some people say they water it down but if you readthe back of the pack exactley same fat/protein etc contents, up here in Whangarei going by the shape of the plastic bottle its made by Fresha Valley in Waipu, same quality milk as you say. and over $1 cheaper. I've tried lots of diff brands of flour and to be honest havnt noticed any diff between budget/homebrand and the more expensive ones. I always buy homebrand tinned tomatoes, s good as the others and sometimes 1/2 the price.

biggles45, Aug 10, 10:21pm
+1. Homebrand flour & sugar, Pam's mixed dried fruit are ok. All the cheap coffees are yuk, we prefer a branded one.

ETA - Pam's potato chips are fine for lunch boxes too

carlos57, Aug 10, 10:33pm
Products I wouldn't buy again - Homebrand creme of chicken cup-a-soup, a budget toilet cleaner (think it was Pam's!), and budget creamed corn. The soup tasted revolting, the toilet cleaner was hard to open so splashed on my trousers and bleached them, and the creamed corn had a very low percentage of corn.

I do use quite a few Budget products; in fact our children prefer Budget tinned peaches to Watties!

dezzie, Aug 10, 11:58pm
The other day I compared tins of tomato soup because I'd had a bit of a craving for a week or so, and ended up with the homebrand one, and its great.I picked it because by comparing the tops of the tins I reckon its just campbells soup in a different label, anyway, its good, maybe a wee bit sweeter than the watties I remember (but I don't have as much sugar now as I did then, so maybe it was just me) and it fixed my "tinned tomato soup" craving, and was a good dollar a tin cheaper.

cgvl, Aug 11, 1:15am
I too use a fair bit of budget stuff, but some items I do stay clear of. Budget corn is more cream than corn, not fussed on budget bread but its cheaper than any other brand so buy when our own budget dictates, prefer Pams, otherwise make my own.
Rarely buy biscuits but recently have and like Arnotts or the Countdown ones over Griffins. Budget malt are revolting, think they use a malt flavouring not the real stuff (make my own of these too).
We buy Branded coffee eg Nescafe or Gravity, personal preference by the main coffee drinkers.

pigletnz25, Aug 11, 2:45am
Hubby has worked fixing machinesat Sanitirum factory and he saw them packing the weetbix into Homebrand pkts and asked if it was all the same, they smiled and said if only the public knew, almost all the Sanitrum products also get packed into Homebrand containers as well NO difference, so if you are tasting something Hombrand and it comes from Sanitirum then if it tastes different then its in the mind, not the product.

family007, Aug 11, 4:06am
I buy Homebrand: cocoa, sugar,flour, tinned apricots,milk and coffee (The workmates love it, tastes real good for a plain pack!), plastic wrap.
Pams: most things except for evaporated milk and baked beans both of which are quite runny.
Budget: peaches, why! I don't know!
I do try to budget where I can, especially with ingredients I know are gonna be used not on their own. Just a matter of trying differentitems and brands.

mottly, Aug 11, 6:12am
pams coca is great, plus their baking soda and powder - in the tubs. Budget milk, I've always used, I don't like the sour flavour of many other brands.Homebrand bread is quality bakers, with a little less flour :)

nauru, Aug 11, 7:56am
Great idea, I'm into anything that will cut down the cost of cleaning products.How much HA do you use in your spray bottle!

jude343, Aug 12, 4:43am
i am diabetic, i find a lot of cheaper products have a lot of sugar or sugar equivalent to give a good taste.
its a case of reading labels, and being aware that manufacturers use different words to hide how much sugar is in a product, eg, glucose, maltidextrin, corn syrup, etc are sugar.

jude343, Aug 12, 4:54am
I use about x4-x6 caps, (depends on squirty bottle size)i also add a cap of domestos disinfectant to my spray bottles, its suppose to be hospital grade and kill anything.
For washing my painted walls, I use WHITE vinegar, in hot water, a NEW or VERY clean squeezy mop head, and wash walls down. paint looks brand new. (white vin dosent go soapy, no need to rinse)
I have just had RE agent ask how did you re-decorate!.5or 6 years ago it wasall painted. We dont smoke.

tony556, Aug 12, 5:07am
Pam's flour and sugars are the only brand we ever buy. We also now buy their golden syrup and baking soda which are reliable as well. Homebrand milk and bread are also fine. I buy mostly budget and pam's products where possible. I am a little hesitant with some products though such as the tinned fruit

wendalls, Aug 12, 8:59am
Home brand gets the tick from me. Special mention to signature range hummus it is also one of the healthiest with much lower fat content. Although i go through half a container with my SR rice crackers in one snack.lolmy kids like the hummus too.

nauru, Aug 14, 11:33am
Thanks for the tips. Tried the HA in my spray bottles, great for cleaning around the kitchen & bathroom and much cheaper than all those other cleaning products.I use white vinegar a lot too instead of fab softener in my washer and in the rinseaid dispenser in the dishwasher as well as cleaning the paintwork.Likeyou we don't smoke either so it all stays cleaner for longer.

firecentaurr, Aug 15, 2:30am
Would never buy Budget Spaghetti ever again, the stuff was watery looking and tasted like dirt!

kiwigal007, Aug 15, 3:41am
Why do you say this! The reason I ask is that I have had issues with the bottom of things burning and I've only just clicked that it maybe because I use this paper.

karenz, Aug 15, 6:27am
Pam's streaky bacon is the best I have every bought.

malcovy, Aug 15, 6:44am
Instead of baking paper I use the Home Brand oil spray and imitation greaseproof paper but I will never buy the paper of HB's again, it's too thin for baking with.Pam have good imitation greaseproof paper.

timarubogan, Aug 15, 7:25am
budget fruit salad was inediable

nainmary, Aug 16, 8:46am
Home brandChoc Coated Honeycomb & Nutchewy muesli barsYUM
also theirTriple Chocbiscuitsgood value at $1.99and very nice. A person ahead of me put 3 packs of each in their basket some time ago so I thought I would try them.Both nice for a treat.

islaybrian, Aug 20, 3:05am
+1 all the way!

dibble35, Aug 20, 6:30am
I like the signature range bread, multigrain is our regular one we buy and their denser 'vogel' type loaves are nice to.
Ages ago I bought Pams choc chips for baking with. not very nice. in fact they have been sitting in the cupboard for at least 6 months cause i dont want to bake with them.