Kumara and pumpkin balls recipe

iman007, Jul 19, 5:06am
when in kaikoura last xmas my family had a meal at the pier hotel, 2 people had the balls with a sate sauce and couldnt stop raving about them, so when i was last in kaikoura 2 weeks ago i asked at the pub for the recipe.Simple but soooo yummy.My kids said my sate sauce is the best also.Anyone want recipe! Not typing if no one wants it!

neil_di, Jul 19, 5:09am
Yes please. hope its the same as Mainstreet's version. They were delicious.Thanks Di

geldof, Jul 19, 5:43am
+1 please.

52many, Jul 19, 5:56am
+2.please!

timturtle, Jul 19, 6:03am
+3

lodgelocum, Jul 19, 7:07am
+ 4, they sound very nice and a lovely side dish.

rosiemoodle, Jul 19, 7:08am
that brings back memories They were yummy

robyn35, Jul 19, 7:40am
+ 5, sounds great

herbiem, Jul 19, 7:49am
Yes, please.

camper18, Jul 19, 10:06am
And me please

sailbell, Jul 19, 10:31am
and me please :)

iman007, Jul 19, 11:36pm
kool, i will start
2 large yellow kumara
about the same amount of pumpkin.
I cut in to 25mm cubes and put wee bit of water in a bowl and cover with cleanfilm and microwave uintil its a mashy consistensy.Drain and set aside, take a small packet of salted cooked cashews and finely cut to say 4 or 5mm pieces.Mix all this together and put in fridge til it firms up, then take it out and make into balls size of bigger than a golf ball and use wet hands to do this and then roll them in breadcrumbs and refrigerate til ready to deep fry, or pan fry if you dont have a deep fryer
Sate sauce, and this is premo stuff here!
50 gms butter fry a red onion finely chopped or 2 small white onions, i just prefer red.Fry until onions are soft, add 2 teaspoons fish sauce, about 1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce, i use 2 because the soy i have is quite runny, 1 chilly deseeded and finely chopped and about a cup of water.Start adding chunky peanut butter a tablespoon at a time until its thickens to consistency you want.Dont use salt as fish sauce and soy is plenty, taste and add brown sugar until you get a nice balanced flavour.
My kids have ordered me to make another batch for them, they said they were that good, i also use sauce with chicken kebabs, i use thigh meat, red pepper, chicken red onion skewers and grill them and eat with sauce and rice.Very yummy entree!

good luck on a cheap meal or meals, i usely make enough so i get 2 meals out of the sauce, let me know how ya get on!

frances1266, Jul 20, 1:46am
I think Alison Holst has a recipe for them in one of her books. I suspect it is Mainstreet's recipe.This recipe wouldnt be the same as Mainstreets (great cafe) as that was a vegetarian cafe.

245sam, Jul 20, 1:52am
It can be interesting finding out where restaurants, etc. source their recipes - I remember, a few years ago, being with our dining group at a well known Christchurch dining landmark and having a delicious soup which I recognised as being the same as one of Alison Holst's however another diner actually asked re the recipe and was told "Oh, it's actually Alison Holst's recipe for .soup" - obviously the chef liked Alison's recipe so much that he/she incorporated it into their menu.:-))

iman007, Jul 20, 2:34am
try my way, you might be pleasantly surprised!

iman007, Jul 23, 2:58am
anyone try them!
just curious thays all !

katalin2, Jul 23, 3:53am
I was having lunch at Main Street a few years ago with a friend- one of the staff was on a break at the next table and they were browsing a well thumbed Digby Law recipe book- so that might answer your question re Main Street at least! I really miss them- it was close to my work and often went there with my kids as they were growing up. I usually had the pumpkin and kumara balls unless I had just had a selection of their delicious salads.

poppysinger2, Jul 23, 4:01am
Yes indeedy I too loved these tasty and filling treats at dear old Mainstreet. I lived by the river near there in the 1990s and it was a great cheap and cheerful cafe much loved .