What to have with Lasagne?

redwood107, Jul 23, 11:42pm
Having friends visit for dinner.I will do a lasagne as it's one of our family favourites.But what to have with it in winter!Summer is easy - I go with salads and garlic bread.Ideas for winter sides dishes (vegies) please.Thanks

kiwiactrss, Jul 23, 11:46pm
I would still go with Salad and French Bread - maybe more of a tomato/ mozarella/ basil salad. we are having friends for dinner this weekend and that is what I am serving.

redwood107, Jul 23, 11:51pm
Mmm Good idea - thanks

holly-rocks, Jul 23, 11:52pm
what about coleslaw

lodgelocum, Jul 24, 12:01am
i would go for salad as well, lettuce, tomato, red onion type, helps to cut down the fat of the lasagne.

theanimal1, Jul 24, 12:10am
a bean salad !

fresh green bean salad

Dressing:

1/2 cup salad oil

1/2 cup wine,cider, or balsamic vinegar

1 clove garlic-minced or pressed

1/2 tsp. mustard powder

1 tsp. celery seed

1-2 tbsp.brown sugar

1 tsp salt

ingedients:

1 kg green beans ( can use half green half butter)

4 rashers of cooked crispy bacon, chopped

(mushrooms if you like them)

1 zucchini

spring onion, as much as you want

pine nuts or toasted seame seeds

Cherry tomatoes (optional)

Trim ends from beans and rinse in a colander. Put beans in a pot of boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes. While beans are cooking fill a pot or bowl withwater and ice cubes.

Drain boiling water from beans and immediately immerse them in the ice water bath. This stops them from cooking and keeps them crisp, vibrant and green.

When beans are cool, put them in a colander to drain water, then cut them in half on a cutting board. Add them to a large salad bowl.

Cut zucchini lengthwise, discarding the middle seed section. Cut lengths into 1/4 inch strips and chop strips into 2-3 inch lengths. Add to bowl.

Chop the mushroom into aprox. 1 inch squares and add to salad. Add onions and pine nuts or toasted seame seeds

Mix dressing from the ingredients listed, adjust salt and/or sugar to taste and add to salad. mix well and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Toss salad a couple of times while cooling and just before serving. This salad should be eaten fairly soon after the 2-3 hour cooling as the mushroom and zucchini will get soggy after a while.

redwood107, Jul 24, 1:41am
Thanks heaps.The bean recipie looks devine

lyl_guy, Jul 24, 1:52am
We've been having spinach salads throughout the winter.Just baby spinach leaves, with halved cherry tomatoes, Feta, red onion and whatever vinegarette dressing you want.Often we just squeeze lemon juice or balsamic vinegar over it.

redwood107, Jul 24, 2:29am
Thanks guys - figured it was to cold for salads but you have convinced me otherwise.I don't really entertain much but am really looking forward to Sat night now :-)

tjman, Jul 24, 2:35am
you could have with roasted courgettes, whole garlic cloves coloured peppers and eggplant.add some balsamic vinegar and oil

redwood107, Jul 24, 3:13am
Sounds great - but I've never done anything like this before.Basic roast vegies are what I do.So how!Any tips appreciated.:-)

fifie, Jul 24, 3:25am
How about a salad of chunks of roast vegs with a curry dressing over them served warm, along with some nice green beans, andgarlic bread, or warm crusty bread rolls.

xtownie, Jul 24, 9:41am
I often do a dish of steamed Cauli, Broccoli & Carrotts and drizzle with a cheese sauce but make the cheese sauce using Parmesan Chees and about 1/2 tsp Pesto in it

barneyboy1999, Jul 25, 7:58am
We normally have a side of green beans (fzn packet) or brocolli with lasagne.

sooseque, Jul 25, 10:05am
SPINACH SALAD

½ CUP PINENUTS – TOASTED
2 BACON RASHERS COOKED CRISPY
1 BUNCH YOUNG SPINACH
1 YELLOW CAPISCUM
BABY MUSHROOMS SLICED

DRESSING
2 TBLSP WIHTE VINEGAR
1 tsp WHOLEGRAIN MUSTARD
1 tsp SUGAR
2 CLOVES GARLIC, CRUSHED
SALT & PEPPER
1/3 CUP OLIVE OIL
2 tsp CHOPPED FRESH BASIL

ASSEMBLE SALAD INGREDIENTS, COMBINE DRESSING INGREDIENTS, SPOON REQUIRED DRESSING OVER SALAD AND TOSS.