Frosted animal biscuits!

mas45, Aug 5, 9:43am
I love these tasty wee treats and would love to have a go at making them at home not necessarily animal ones but just as frosted cookies. I love the flavour and that hard, hard icing. Anyone have a recipe please of something similar!
Cheers Matt

mas45, Aug 5, 11:32pm
Bump!
I can't believe that with all the great bakers here on the forum, someone doesn't have a recipe for a similar type cookie to the animal biscuits you get in the shops.

littlemissy1, Aug 6, 2:44am
Well I would love a recipe for these too so I'ma going to give a little bump

perle, Aug 6, 4:44am
bump me too!

245sam, Aug 6, 5:01am
Here's another biscuit option - it was shown on Good Morning a few years ago and has been popular here on the MB especially at Christmas and for birthdays or school holiday baking days.

VANILLA SUGAR COOKIES FOR DECORATING
From Laurel Watson "The following recipe is the best decorating base I have found as it is tender to eat but still keeps its shape after baking".

185g butter
1 cup caster sugar
1½ tsp vanilla essence
2½ cups plain flour
1 egg

Place butter and sugar in the food processor and whiz until combined.Add the egg and vanilla essence and whiz again to mix, add the flour and pulse until the dough comes together in a ball.Knead the dough lightly then press into a dish, wrap in plastic film and chill for at least 30 minutes.Roll out on a floured workbench to about ½ cm, cut out with a cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour (the dough can be re-rolled once).Put the shapes on a baking sheet lined with non stick baking paper.
Bake at180°Cfor10-12 minutes until just golden, cool on a rack and then decorate.
Variations:
• chocolate cookies substitute ¼ cup cocoa powder for ¼ cup flour.
• Stained Glass Biscuits:-Simply cut out a shape from a larger-size biscuit and drop a Heard’s fruit lolly into the hole, bake as per usual and let cool on the baking paper.:-))

fifie, Aug 6, 6:30am
Make cookies from sams recipe above, mix a brew of runny royal up spread this over biccys this will go hard. Do they have sprinkles on them still! if so sprinkle a few over them and hey presto you have your own biscuits. Don't think you will get the original recipe.

245sam, Aug 6, 6:36am
fifie, gosh it's probably well over 25 years since we last had those little biscuits in the house but I don't recall the actual animal biscuits having any 100's & 1000's/non-pareils on them - just a variety of different colours.and that brings back memories of opening the packets to find broken biscuits and having the fun of matching the pieces up to see what the whole animal looked like - our now adult daughter really enjoyed those biscuits as a little girl.:-))

fifie, Aug 6, 7:05am
ha ha they used to be a fav with my kids growing up to, all the colours as well, maybe they didn't have the 100/1000's on them, i could be thinking of fairy biscuits and yes there was always a few broken ones in a packet and usually a fight to get the packet and broken ones, that way you got more lol.

245sam, Aug 6, 7:36am
Our daughter didn't have any competitors for the broken ones, fifie - only her Mum and Dad ;-)

mas45, Aug 6, 2:59pm
I bought a couple of boxes (not packets any more) at the local Countdown, made by Arnotts. They were ssooo yummy that the box was emptied in one foul swoop with 2 large glasses of ice cold fresh farm milk!
The almost taste like girl guide biscuits but not quite and I love the rock hard frosting.