Budget brand peaches

Page 1 / 2
chrisran, Aug 5, 7:53am
Just a wee warning. Don't buy this inferior but cheaper product. I opened a can from the pantry this morning (don't know why I absent mindedly put this crap in my shopping trolley) and found they were pale imitations of the Watties brand or any other NZ canned product. They had a ghastly pale colour and tasted slightly metallic. I dumped the peaches into the bin and opened a Watties can. Lovely golden peaches but somewhat oddly cut and a bit mushy. Tasty but not as good as they used to be I reckon. What cheaper brands of peaches does anyone recommend!

ksr, Aug 5, 8:01am
I generally check for the country it is canned in and Aussie cheapo ones always are delish!

littlemissy1, Aug 5, 8:08am
I brought some awhile back thinking alot of the cheaper brands are just as nice.had the same thing, pale and tinny tasting, some with their BBeans, horrible and went straight in the bin. Would never buy them again.

nfh1, Aug 5, 8:17am
I bought some Watties Fruit Salad in Fruit Juice the other day - they were shocking, hardly any fruit, lots of juice, fruit was pale - could have been anything.

I would not buy Watties again!

ingies, Aug 5, 8:26am
Yum peaches, if you have a Mediterranean food warehouse nearby they have the best Spanish canned peaches, full of flavour, colour and taste.

lodgelocum, Aug 5, 9:04am
The Budget apricots are the pits, the peaches I can just manage.

firefly001, Aug 5, 9:14am
I like spc for nz/aussie

puddleduck00, Aug 5, 9:16am
Nothing worse than metallic tasting canned food. If it tastes metallic, you can guarantee it's not good for you. I personally find Home Brand and Pam's pretty good. Have never had much luck with Budget stuff. I don't bother with Watties and other overpriced crap.

falcon-hell, Aug 5, 10:08am
i find Pams good too.

puddleduck00, Aug 5, 10:09am
Nice pun!

sam284, Aug 5, 10:11am
Strangely, Budget Fruit Salad was quite nice the last time we had it.much nicer than Watties

willyow, Aug 5, 8:43pm
Where did they originate!

chrisran, Aug 5, 8:44pm
So why is our iconic Watties brand so poor! Is it a factory thing! Are the workers so low paid they don't care! Quality control is obviously going by the board. I think I'll go for Homebrand or Pams of the cheaper ones. And I will only buy Pics peanut butter. Made in Nelson. Yummy. Recommend it. The chinese made peanut butter is not so good.

cgvl, Aug 5, 9:00pm
most of the fruit for watties is now sourced from oversea's eg Apricots from either South Africa or South America.
I buy oak or spc when I have to, but try to get enough fruit in season to bottle or freeze now.

eagles9999, Aug 5, 9:05pm
I saw Budget Butter in P&S for the first time last week. Bought it and tried it and I cant tell the difference.

thelaw014, Aug 5, 9:22pm
We get the large tins of Homebrand Peaches and they're fine, or should I say sweet.

nfh1, Aug 5, 9:38pm
I have no idea, it is really sad.Have just opened a can of chopped tomatoes from Watties that you have to hunt for a piece of tomato.Their quality control must need a heads up I think.

eastie3, Aug 6, 4:40am
Although I believe your accounts of poor value and quality from Watties products,I also remembered that Readers Digest recently named Watties as one of the most trusted brands:

http://www.watties.co.nz/What-s-New/Sir-James-would-be-proud

puddleduck00, Aug 6, 5:26am
That's marketing for you.

imn, Aug 6, 6:27am
I always buy the budget apricots for apricot chicken. Have tried the other brands and they are soft and mushy. that includes watties. theres more juice than fruit in that brand. budget apricots are firm and hold their shape. Never bought peaches or other fruit in budget so cant comment. I usually buy the SPC brand for peaches and fruit salad. Way more fruit than watties.

jascas, Aug 6, 7:05am
Pams diced peaches are usually good

terachaos, Aug 6, 9:23am
+ 1 (Vetro!)

chrisran, Aug 6, 9:48am
Can said China. Would never buy food products from China but forgot to check.

patsprat, Aug 7, 1:38am
Homebrand peaches are South African and they are good, golden and sweet. Don't like buying Chinese peaches, they are pale, hard and tasteless. Buying the large tin is better value that 2 of the smaller ones I find.

aldis, Aug 7, 1:53am
I agree beautiful tasting fruit from Spain. I don't know why we put up with the poorer quality canned fruit we get locally. Surely we must grow decent fruit here, but its not available canned!
The South African peaches can also be quite good, but syrup too sweet for my palate.