Chicken Soup recipe ?

agave1, Aug 7, 10:19pm
anyone know of a good but simple recipe!

I have chicken thighs on the bone - can I just throw everything in together, cooking the thighs in the soup!Or do I need to make stock out of them and then just add the flesh later!

I would like to add chopped veges, and a few lentils and split peas too.

245sam, Aug 7, 10:36pm
agave1, my personal preference would be to make stock first, using the chicken thighs, rather than having to try and separate the bones and skin from the vegetables, etc. in the soup.When making the stock I would only cook the intact thighs (i.e. meat + bones and skin) until the actual meat is cooked then remove them from the liquid and take the meat from the bones which I would then return, along with the skin, to the liquid.Once satisfied that the liquid/stock had taken as much flavour as possible from the bones, skin, and any added flavourings (herbs and vegetables) I would then discard the bones, skin and flavourings and chill the stock to allow any fat to solidy for easy removal. The stock would then be ready for whatever it's needed for - in your case, making the soup with the "chopped veges, and a few lentils and split peas".

Hope that helps.:-))

agave1, Aug 7, 10:43pm
Fantastic.Thanks heaps sam.

245sam, Aug 7, 10:58pm
You're most welcome agave1.in the above I forgot to add that I would return the chicken meat to the stock/soup once the actual soup "veges, lentils and split peas" are almost cooked i.e. just long enough to thoroughly reheat the meat but not so long that it has all its flavour leeched from it making the actual meat somewhat tasteless.:-))