Butter Chicken

Page 7 / 8
lapaz1, May 28, 7:19am
Spice and easy from the supermarket, this is the best butter chicken I have ever tasted, I've put other friends onto this range of spices and they are really impressed by the quality of the taste. Recipe is included on the packet.

cottagerose, May 28, 8:00am
Sandra, your spices worked a treat, even my husband enjoyed his first taste of butter chicken.
Your spices made it simple and quick to make and as I dont make it often having your premixed spices saves me buying spices I wouldnt normaly use.
I have an Indian friend who makes me butter chicken but its a bit much for my husband. Hers is made from scratch but alot of work.

winnie15, Dec 29, 2:02am
i bought this one but didn't like it . too much tumeric or something. just doesn't taste like authentic butter chicken. Guess we'll just have to treat ourselves at the local indian resturant sometimes.

yodagirl, Dec 29, 8:42am
I think the Pams jar of Butter Chicken is the best on the market, but cant beat making it yourself.

winnie15, Dec 29, 8:36pm
yeh the kids love the Pams butter chicken . and only 3.65 on special.can't go wrong there.

wron, Dec 30, 9:44am
sandra22 has no listings at the moment maybe on holiday!

justdelite, Apr 14, 3:33am
ok I have been through all of the old threads, can someone give me a recipe that tastes like a butter chicken you would buy from a restaurant!

mizzmiff, Apr 14, 3:47am
I make my own by frying up my chicken, onions and red capsicum, then adding garlic and curry powder (about 2tbsp curry) fry off abit to cook the curry powder, then add 1 tin tomatoes and 1 tin Coconut Cream. You can add more curry at the end if you need to to get the taste right. I got this recipe by accident one night when I was just chucking stuff in the fry pan and out came Butter Chicken!

miss-skyline, Apr 14, 5:31am
so where do we buy it from them!

lindi4, Apr 14, 6:32am
Yip.as above basically the spices are fried and then add cream and tomato paste and chicken

trogedon, Apr 14, 9:20pm
Butter chicken.could there be another food item with such a bad name!! Butter = Fat, Chicken = having worked for a chicken grower years ago. ;-(

twindizzy, Apr 15, 12:36am
Butter Chicken-the most boring , bland (Non) Indian dish of all.

samanya, Apr 15, 6:31am
maybe you think so . but considering that not too many years ago, many untravelled NZers wouldn't have been game to try it, it's OK.
Other cultures have given us a lot more choice, than we had when I was a kid, either by new residents or more world travel.

However, I do get thoroughly pithed off with those who choose to settle here, for a better lifestyle than their land of birth & then criticise what we have traditionally eaten. ;o)
We ARE open to change.

twindizzy, Apr 15, 9:30pm
How would you know! I just prefer an Indian dish with some grunt and actual layered flavours with some heat and would put ten or so dishes in front of NZ's number 1 choice for a 'Curry'.

sandra22, Apr 16, 2:19am
You seriously can't have tried the best butter chicken in NZ yet!It's much better than the restaurants even make.And my recipe has lots of grunt and several layers of fantastic flavour - you should try some!

twindizzy, Apr 16, 2:46am
You can have a very spicy can of Watties spaghetti too. What's your point there!

The dish is traditionally served very mild.

holdenss, Apr 16, 3:16am
I second this one! Its really not that hard people, All the packet ones taste like Crap! I went through "14" of them and got frustrated then designed my own and people just think Its the greatest.(I now sell in pies in my bakery)
Very similar to this one except I also add cumin/coriander/white pepper and paprika Yum! (ohh and I dont use the masala mix)
Seriously "uli" you shouldnt have to pay for whats 50c of spices. Give it a go!

holdenss, Apr 16, 5:43am
Oops thats what happens when I read on the Run lol! Sorry Bout that uli, your recipe sounds Awesome, It wouldnt of sounded out of place If your'd mentioned skinning the chicken! thats how scatch it sounds! not much cream though! but thats my preference mmmm cream!
All seriousness though It does sound great, Illhave to try It then . .If its better. . ill sell ItHehe

And If you guys want your curry thicker: flour 1 part mixed with milk or crean 2 parts, i.e 50gm flour/100ml milk, then stir into cooking mixure slowly stirring till preferred thickness.

kirinesha, Apr 17, 5:26am
I guess that's why this is called the Recipes section, not the Sachets and Chicken Tonight section!

kirinesha, Apr 17, 5:33am
Nice that he will eat Thai or Indian though Samsnan! You have a lovely night, I'm taking my husband out for dinner (but I'm making him walk the 3-4 ks to get there!). I'm evil!

huntme33, Apr 17, 7:06am
The best best butter chicken closest to a restaurant ( I think) is the asian gourmet sachet in the purple packet from the supermarket. I won't do it any other way! Get 2 packets and double the cream, so it has heaps of sauce! dont use water like it says and use tomato puree instead of canned tomatoes. It's the best and my kids love it

jamjars05, Apr 17, 8:19am
have a look here.
http://onceuponafeast.blogspot.com/2005/09/butter-chicken-makkhani-murghi.html
(two parts, click the hyperlink for the other recipe)

this about the best authentic BC recipe there is. doesn't taste like the chicken in tomato soup that curry places seem to like to serve these days

holdenss, Apr 20, 3:24am
Hey uli do you have a Korma recipe! or is It pretty much the same but swap the cream for Coconut cream and add cashews! Also a good tear drop Naan Recipe would be nice!

fisher, Apr 20, 8:58am
Target next week tests out all the "come in a jar" butter chicken sauces next week. I will be riveted to my lazyboy :}}

fisher, Apr 20, 8:59am
well maybe I wont.:}