Hand held electric mixer

duckmoon, Jun 23, 3:40am
i have a kenwood chef, which I use for big projects. but also own a hand mixer which I was given in 1989! but it died today.

have decided I want to replace it.

What is your recommendation for a hand held electric mixer (hoping for one which will last another 23 years)

elliehen, Jun 23, 3:42am
I got a Breville with Flybuys, a replacement for a very old reliable Sunbeam workhorse, but it seems to have lost its oomph quite quickly and is making a gravelly noise as it makes hard work of some pretty ordinary mixing.

ayglepaygle, Jun 23, 4:37am
Bumping. I'll watch with interest. My one has also lost its oomph!

birdfeeder, Jun 23, 4:40am
My 30 year old hand held mixer died a year ago and I bought a Breville Wizz Mix 320 watt with turbo boost and I very seldom use it on full power as it istoo strong! Got it in one of Briscoes sales.

pamellie, Jun 23, 4:55am
I have a little Sunbeam Mixmaster. Rubbish wouldn't recommend to anyone!

kinna54, Jun 23, 4:59am
duckmoon I recently had to buy a new one as well.a bit of a trial for me, as I needed one that is really light to hold: ended up buying an el cheapo at a sale: (can't remember if it was warehouse or Kmart, it is a no name brand)
Goes like a rocket! Not sure how long it will last, but at the price and for the weight it works for me.

ibcreative, Jun 23, 5:01am
I've got a cheap warehouse one as well. Has been going strong for about 8 or 9 years now.

rainrain1, Jun 23, 5:14am
I have a Breville 320 watt turbo boost, it's about 3 years old, I will post back in 20yrs time to tell you if it lasts that long

carlosjackal, Jun 23, 6:06am
I highly recommend a Bamix handheld mixer. It is originally from Switzerland.

There are several links to Bamix. Here is just one of many links to Bamix:
http://www.squidoo.com/bamix-professional-hand-blender

They are more expensive that other handheld mixers but they are really built to last. I suggest you do a bit of research on Bamix (and others) to know that you are going to get what you pay for. I've had my Bamix since about 1986/87 and it's STILL going strong!I wouldn't have any other kind.

carlosjackal, Jun 23, 6:12am
Oh.and just to add to that (for what it's worth) many professional chefs use Bamix handheld mixers including Gordon Ramsay!

camper18, Jun 23, 8:18am
Generally the higher wattage mixers will last longer as there is less strain on the motor.Anything over 250w will usually be OK

chicco2, Jun 23, 8:01pm
carlosjackal, I too have a Bamix stick blender. It is 20 plus years old and still amazing. No good as a hand held cake mixer though.

carlosjackal, Jun 23, 10:39pm
Yeah, but it was never designed to be a cake mixer.