Savoury Sandwiches

connor2003, Jun 23, 2:02am
When I was a pre-teen my mother allowed us kids to make our favourite meals on a Sunday night, I can remember making a baked savoury sandwich with ham and cheese in it but for the life of me I can't remember what else was in the dish. I would like to make it again but can't find the recipe. Can anyone help!

jessie981, Jun 23, 3:34am
Was it like a toasted sandwich! you may have put tomato in

nanasee1, Jun 23, 3:49am
This one is popular with our family.
Ham Bread and Spinach Bake serves 4
5thickslices white bread cut in triangles
125gramsfrozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove extra moisture
200gramslow fat shaved ham, chopped
1largetomato, skinned & chopped
100gramsricotta cheese, crumbled
6largeeggs
1cuplow fat milk
1TabDijon mustard
1teaWorcestershire sauce

Heat oven to 180 C
Spray a 8-cup ovenproof dish with oil.(I used my lasagne dish).
Stand bread with crusts down and points up in rows.Put ham, spinach & tomato between the slices, sprinkle with ricotta.
Whisk eggs, milk, mustard, sauce, salt & pepper in a jug.Pour mixture over the bread.
Bake for 30 minutes, until golden & just set.

ruby19, Jun 23, 5:50am
Croque monsier! sp Not sure if this is what you are after, haven't got a recipe though.

sarahb5, Jun 24, 1:20am
That's what it sounds like to me as well although I think traditionally croque monsieur is fried rather than baked.I also remember my kids making something like a "bread savoury" when they were at intermediate school - don't know what the recipe was though and it may just have been bread cases filled with spaghetti, ham and topped with cheese.

connor2003, Jun 25, 4:35am
Thanks nanasee1 - that sounds like it except there was no spinach or ricotta only tasty cheese.

nanasee1, Jun 25, 5:07am
Connor I play with the recipe and use all sorts of filling & cheese. Sometimes it is easier to make the sandwiches, quarter them then pour the egg mix over.