How to hold a three tier cake together

manddtrott, Jun 25, 9:34pm
Hi, I have been volunteered to make my daughter's engagement party cake.What has been the most successful wayto stack the cakes.I just want to put layer on layer. (I hope this makes sense)I realize that *google is my friend* but would like some feedback from those who have stacked and survived.I have read that you can use dowel or cut out the top of the fondant of the cake below.Which is the better!Or any other ideas that could work.I just have this horrible vision of it all just sliding onto the floor when they start to cut it.Funny for Youtube but don't think my daughter would find it funny at the time.

margyr, Jun 25, 9:39pm
I have done tiered cakes and used dowel to hold layers apart, have not done a stack but would think you would fondant ice each one and let the fondant set before stacking the next one on. Good luck.

cookessentials, Jun 25, 9:44pm
The American way, is usually, just one cake directly on top of the other ( which would be far more stable) the other way is to use the cake dowel rods that you can purchase from cake decorating stores.

cookessentials, Jun 25, 9:47pm
http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/wedding-cake-ideas-for-small-wedding-no-cupcakes-please

If you scroll down a little here, you will see how they have them directly on top of one another. Each are fondant covered and I would imagine that you would use a little royal icing to hold each one on.

kiwitrish, Jun 25, 10:00pm
Dowling is the way I go.I cut the dowling about an inch deeper than the cake so when you insert the dowling into the bottom iced cake there is an inch sticking out.Then place the 2nd tier onto the bottom tier and the dowling goes into the 2nd cake.If more tiers are used do the same thing. All tiers are iced before doing this.

manddtrott, Jun 25, 10:25pm
thank you so much for all your help.I must admit I got a fit of the giggles after picturing the cake toppling off the table.Must have a warped sense of humour.

kandu1, Jun 25, 10:30pm
if you use a circular piece of cardboard under each cake it not only stabilizes the structure, but also makes it easier to seperate each layer to cut later. Otherwise you get damage due to cake sticking to the layer beneath. This way you can simply slide a slice underneath and it pops up.
I did a heavy choc mud cake 3 tier celebration cake years ago and this was a valuable lesson learned!

kiwitrish, Jun 25, 10:50pm
I agree.I also do this and forgot to mention it.

manddtrott, Jun 25, 11:31pm
Wow thanks for that kandu1. That is definitely in the game plan now.

mattdylan, Jun 26, 12:06am
I also want to know - would I need these dowels to hold just a two tier cake! the top tier is going to be smaller, can I just sit it on top and hold it with some type of icing! help!

kiwitrish, Jun 26, 12:14am
As a cake decorator, I would still use the dowels so the top tier will not fall off.As the other poster said about putting the stiff card under the cake, I do this as well as the doweling and it goes through the card and the base of the cake on top.