The best ever Cocoa

Page 2 / 2
griffo4, Jul 7, 9:09pm
You would think they would put the cocoa in both aisle it can't be that hard to do

oopie, Jul 7, 9:16pm
Pic's peanut butter and all the artisan brands of peanut butter.

The cheap brands are a by-product of peanut oil extraction and usually have cheap soya oil added to keep it spreadable.

sarahb5, Jul 7, 10:30pm
They sell Pics at the Wellington food market my daughter goes to at the weekend but I will be making sure she brings back a big jar from Moore Wilsons next time she's home - my one and only visit there we were already too loaded up to carry another jar (2.5kg of gherkins and 2kg of choc chips!)

maggie197, Aug 6, 7:10am
After reading this thread a wee while ago, I thought I'd give the Homebrand cocoa a go once I'd run out of Cadbury. OMG you ladies are sooooo right. It's darker and richer in flavour.and so much nicer. Goodbye Cadbury's.

griffo4, Aug 6, 7:45am
Maggie l have to agree with you it is so much smoother and nicer just love it for baking and drinking

willyow, Aug 6, 7:43pm
The way to get an idea whether cocoais any good is to read the label. Cheap nasty cocoas have a fat content of 6-8% usually. Better ones - 10-12%. The best - DutchProcess cocoa - is 20-22% fat usually.If you think fat is bad,you have to realise that in cocoait is good because that is where the flavour is, like in most foods - reinforcing the old rule if you want to lose weight'if it tastes good - spit it out'

You can alsoprobably get Dutch Cocoa on Trademe.if you look!

basange, Aug 11, 2:20pm
what year was this thread because when I searched "best" and selected "Last year" this came up. Is the Homebrand Cocoa still better!

lynja, Aug 11, 8:50pm
last year means WITHIN the last year. This is a recent thread basange

sclaredy_cat, Aug 11, 9:21pm
I too thought I would jump in there and buy Homebrand yesterday. The label says it has 21.6% total fat!!!! I must say it does seem like good stuff, and I use probably a packet a fortnight as I do a lot of baking - even the kids commented on how dark it is, and it smells amazing! I will give it a test drive today and give a better review later :)

village.green, Aug 11, 10:08pm
Agree best peanut butter I've tried for years without the added vegetable oil. If you contact the company direct they are happy to sell in bulk and I think a 1kg jar works out to $16 as opposed to $22 (well it did the last time I looked and more economical too if you are big PB eaters as we are in this family) they are based in Nelson.
Mind you, worth having a go at making your own if you can source good raw peanuts and roast them yourself.