First time taster of Pork Cornbeef

kassie48, Jul 4, 9:48pm
guess it's the new fashion name for pickled pork. What gravy do you serve with it!
Not apple sauce thanks.

pericles, Jul 4, 9:49pm
with pickled pork, I serve a white sauce

245sam, Jul 4, 11:21pm
No gravy and I know you said "Not apple sauce" but these are the choices for us for with pickled pork.
Apple and Sage Sauce, Mustard Sauce, Pickled Pineapple - depending on how many are being served I serve 1 or more of those options.:-))

kassie48, Jul 5, 5:13am
OK meat on, have added whole black peppercorns. Do I add an onion or anything else please.

karenz, Jul 5, 6:15am
When I cooked it I threw in cloves, peppercorns, brown sugar and a splash of cider vinegar but I reckon an onion would be good too, here is a recipe from NZ Pork Board, so if you have any of these spices .
http://www.pork.co.nz/Recipes/RecipeBook/RecipePage/tabid/69/cutID/0/methodID/3/recipeID/76/recipeTypeID/0/Default.aspx

kassie48, Jul 5, 6:50am
Thanks karenz, will throw in the sugar. Not really into a lot of spices.

kassie48, Jul 5, 7:18am
Tasted ok, but don't think I'll buy again.

juliewn, Jul 5, 10:19am
We love it with stewed apples, or pineapple pieces. I don't add spices or vinegar when cooking pickled pork, and cook the meat on its own,it has a delicate flavour that can change with the spices.

kuaka, Jul 5, 11:12am
Pork Cornbeef!I wonder who dreamed that one up.It can only be pork or beef, surely, it can't be both!

griffo4, Jul 5, 11:36pm
l mix half and half of honey and mustard and brush over the pickled pork and wrap in tinfoil and bake in oven @ 150C for about 2hrs
This is a recipe from here and it is lovely

davidt4, Jul 6, 12:04am
Ha ha.Maybe dreamed up by an advertisingcopywriter who knows nothing about food.And "cornbeef" is meaningless too.It should be either corned beef or corned pork as "Corned" means salted or brined.

wayne472, Jul 6, 12:39am
kassie48 how much A kilo is it sold for over your way!

Its $12:95 A Kg here @ Westport ,but strangly the same cut of meat not pickled is $15:95 A Kg!

kassie48, Jul 6, 1:29am
Can't remember wayne, will see if I still have the wrapping lata (rubbish day here)

fifie, Jul 6, 1:34am
I done this to when mr arrived home with pork corn beef, normally do it with pickled pork then do it in the crock pot and itsnice. The mustard and honeyis something different eh! thanks to our Fisher for that tip.

kay141, Jul 6, 3:00am
I'm still trying to figure out what the meat was. Beef! Pork! Corned! Pickled! To me, pickling and corning are two different things as is pork or beef. No wonder some people have trouble cooking real food if the labelling is so confusing.

kassie48, Jul 6, 4:24am
$12.49 @ New World

karenz, Jul 6, 5:39am
Maybe it some kind of hybrid, wonder what it looks like!

griffo4, Jul 6, 9:11am
Fifie yep it is different and l won't cook it any other way it is so nice and moist

hubby has just told me that there is no more in the freezer so l had better try and organise another 2 pigs

Thanks to fisher for posting that is why it is such a good recipe,
l couldn't remember who posted it a couple of years ago now

kuaka, Jul 6, 9:30am
Maybe it's a pig that moos or a cow that oinks!

245sam, Jul 8, 1:04am
Have just noticed in this current week's (ends today) New World circular.
"Fresh NZ Pork Corned Silverside $9.49 kg". From my understanding of meat cuts, IMO it is NOT pork corned beef - it is just as stated "Pork Corned Silverside" i.e. pickled pork, using the silverside cut.Silverside is not just a cut of beef, it is also a cut of pork which comes from the leg area of the pig - have a look at:-

http://www.pork.co.nz/Portals/0/Documents/New%20Zealand%20Pork%20pork%20cuts%20poster.pdf

porka1, Jul 8, 2:14am
A lightly pickled pork roast adds a lovely sweet flavour. About 3 days in a salt only brine.