Silicon cookware

catlover28, Jul 9, 1:24am
Probably spelt it wrong but anyway, who here has silicon cookware and is it any good!

biggles45, Jul 9, 2:05am
Yes, I like it. No need to grease or line cake tins, really easy to get cakes out of them. I use a large round cake one, loaf ones and the flat sheets for biscuits etc. Only thing with the flat biscuit ones is they really need to go onto an oven tray or they are impossible to move from bench to oven as they are flexible.

nfh1, Jul 9, 2:07am
I used one to make my Christmas Cake it - same recipe I use every year and it did not taste the same, it was quite dry around the edges and I would not use them for that again.Back to the old tin thing this year!

kesley, Jul 9, 2:08am
I've had issues with things not browning in silicon. I use a silicon muffin pan and if I put it on a metal tray I get good browning on the bottoms but not elsewhere - apart from that they are perfectly fine.
I also love the flat ones for cookies, and I use ones that have steel mesh inside them, so again you don't get the browning issue.
Not keen on silicon cake/loaf pans, though. Everything is just so PALE.

catlover28, Jul 9, 2:11am
So they are great when it comes to non stick!

biggles45, Jul 9, 2:22am
I don't have problems with browning - I use fan bake and wonder if that makes any difference. Non-stick wise I find them brilliant, gone are the days of having to line tins or struggle to get cakes out even after greasing and flouring tins! I leave them in the silicon to cool for 5 minutes or so (on a wire rack so they cool underneath) and the cakes come out easy as.