Biscuits with Walnuts Please

walker18, Jul 12, 12:27am
I have a lot of walnuts and would like to use them as I find they go nasty if kept to long.

245sam, Jul 12, 12:36am
walker18, I haven't checked my collection yet for any recipes for you but just a suggestion - to prevent your walnuts from going "nasty if kept too long", have you tried storing them in the freezer to prolong their freshness and prevent rancidity!
Another thought - are you interested only in biscuit recipes or would you like other options e.g. slice!Somewhere I think I have a recipe of Mum's that was always a popular one with my late Dad - from memory it was sort of like Louise Cake but the topping was made with brown sugar and walnuts instead of white sugar and coconut.:-))

walker18, Jul 12, 12:46am
Thank you for the freezer suggestion All recipes would be good.

dbab, Jul 12, 2:15am
Chop them and add to a basic shortbread recipe.
Add to Chocolate chip cookies

kirmag, Jul 12, 2:24am
afghans. the best ones always have a walnut half on top.And the best coffee cakes come with walnuts on top to decorate.

Carrot cakes have walnuts in em.

245sam, Jul 12, 2:45am
You're welcome.Now here's a recipe that should help you make good use of some of your walnut abundance.

NOUGATINE FINGERS
Base:
115g butter
½ cup caster sugar
2 egg yolks
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt

Cream the butter and caster sugar, then beat in the egg yolks.
Sift together, then mix in the flour, baking powder and salt.Spread into a greased sponge roll tin and top with the
Meringue Topping:
2 egg whites
pinch salt
1 cup brown sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Whisk the egg whites and salt together until very stiff.Whisk in the brown sugar and vanilla essence, then fold in chopped walnuts.
Bake at180ºCforapproximately 30 minutes.
Leave in the tin until cold, then cut into bars.:-))

harrislucinda, Jul 12, 3:00am
putin abananacakeheapsofevery dayrecipeyoucanputincan
shellandfreezethenusewhen required

245sam, Jul 12, 3:18am
walker18, you might like to try the following recipe from an Australian Woman's Weekly - I haven't used the recipe myself because it's only in fairly recent years that I have found walnuts to be appealing.

WALNUT AND ROSEMARY BISCUITS
Good with the mildest cheddar to the strongest blue cheese.

325g plain flour
200g unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
125g caster sugar
3 tsp finely chopped rosemary
50g walnuts, chopped
sea salt flakes

Blitz the flour and butter in a food processor to the breadcrumb stage.Add the egg yolks, sugar and rosemary, and blitz again briefly to form a dough.Empty the dough on to a floured board and gently knead the walnuts into the dough.Shape into a sausage shape, approximately 4cm-5cm Ø, then wrap in cling film and chill for an hour or so.
Remove the dough log from the refrigerator, unwrap and slice into biscuits, approximately 0•5cm thick.Place on a baking paper-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt.
Bake at170°Cfor17 minutes, or until the edges start to turn golden – these biscuits don’t spread much at all.
Leave on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.:-))

walker18, Jul 12, 4:50am
Thank You All, I have just made a walnut Shortbread. It is so easy and nice.
8 oz butter
4 oz icing sugar
8 oz flour
4 oz walnuts
Bake at 180 till slightly brown.
I have frozen 54 ozpkts so will try your recipes then
Still got a lot to shell so will need to use them.

willyow, Jul 12, 5:54am
If your walnuts are in the shell - leave them there.They will stay fresh for a couple of years,.I sell heaps of them from Christchurch area at the La Cigale French Market in Parnell on Saturday mornings, Just store them in apaper bag in your pantry - never leave them in the sun. I found some in the back of our pantry from two tears ago - and they were in fabulous condition. and delicious. They say three a daylowers your cholestrol!