Chicken soup

mopsy3, Jun 7, 1:48am
I made chicken soup in the slow cooker. 2 small chickens (smaller than size 14), roughly chopped onions, carrots, leeks, thyme, salt etc. Cooked approx. 6 hours. Removed vegetables and allowed to cool to skim the fat off. Then with the stock cooked again in slow cooker with grated carrot, leek, courgette, mushroom and onion and added a small carton of chicken stock. When vegies cooked re-added the meat taken off bones and froze in individual containers to take to work. My problem is that it was all a bit bland and not particularly tasty. What could I do next time to give it a bit of Zizz! I am trying to make it low fat and low carb so dont want to add barley etc. Not quite sure what flavour I am hoping for but it just tastes like watery chicken. Which it is I guess. LOL.

davidt4, Jun 7, 4:25am
Try making it with free range chickens and fresh chicken stock.Add a few bay leaves and plenty of salt.Add finely chopped fresh herbs as available - parsley, marjoram, tarragon, chervil, chives.Trickle some good quality olive oil over each serving.

mopsy3, Jun 7, 4:50am
Thanks David. I thought I made fresh chicken stock when I cooked the chickens with onions, carrots etc! I didnt have bay leaves at the time but will definitely get some and add them next time. And some extra herbs. Would I use them in the initial stock cooking or add them when the vegies go in!

dalkemade, Jun 7, 5:31am
Add a packet of Hearty Oxtail Soup. Or a beef stock cube or two.

nauru, Jun 7, 5:32am
Add bay leaves when making stock.Also try to puree some of the veges and add to your soup, that will thicken and flavour it too.

davidt4, Jun 7, 5:53am
Add the fresh herbs right at the end, just before you serve the soup.

dangoodwin, Jun 7, 9:10am
i use the slow cooker too. I always add fresh garlic & ginger and a packet of magi cream of chicken soup (along with the usual vege chicken etc.)and a good dash of sesamie oil at the end