Feijoa cake

blt10, May 23, 6:54am
Sorry must have been done beforebut anyone have a nice recipe for this cake please

jessie981, May 23, 7:01am
Pop into the lefthand messageboard & under keyword put Feijoa cake. Under date posted put last year. Recipes there. Happy eating.

blt10, May 23, 7:06am
I did that jessie & there's nothing but the bakewares etc that feijoa came up in thread convos'

blt10, May 23, 7:07am
What a waste all the great recipes are lost to cyberspace

jessie981, May 23, 7:11am
Hi kirmag. Check out this blog. It has heaps of lovely feijoa recipes. http://feijoafeijoa.wordpress.com/recipes/ . My personal favourite is the feijoa and coconut cake http://feijoafeijoa.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/feijoa-and-coco
nut-cake/

bridget107 (86 )2:15 pm, Mon 30 Apr #2

jessie981, May 23, 7:12am
Feijoa loaf/cake
6-8 large feijoas 50g/2oz butter
1 cup boiling water 1 beaten egg
2 Cup flour 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon Baking Powder

Boil feijoas, water and butter for 5 mins. Cool.
Carefully stir in sifted dry ingredients and beaten egg.
Cook for 45-60 mins at 180c
Sultanas (boil with feijoas), walnuts can also be added.
Ice if you wish with lemon icing
Rub soft butter into icing sugar till it looks crumbly. Add lemon juice (zest too if wished) Beat for 5-10 mins with electric beater. Ice. Zest can be added on top.

lx4000 (772 )4:24 pm, Sun 3 Jul #5

blt10, May 23, 7:17am
Thank you thank you all
Yes Grifo, I did put last year so I was surprised with the results of nil.

stevee6, May 23, 7:32am
I use the Edmonds banana cake recipe and replace the banana with feijoa pulp. Works a treat.

blt10, May 23, 7:35am
Yes, I knew the banana cake recipe can be used but I wanted a feijoa recipe using less butter when it's just as delicious.We had the sour cream for dinner last night so I have to wait for the feijoa & coconut cake.
Thanks all the same anyway.

daleaway, May 24, 1:52am
By coincidence I made the recipe quoted by #7 last weekend - makes a very nice textured loaf/cake but needs a bit of zhuzh. Next time I make it I will add some powdered ginger to the batter, and a cinnamon/sugar sprinkle topping I think.
Or the lemon icing as suggested. But definitely ginger in the batter and maybe even some chopped crystallised ginger.

valentino, May 24, 2:28am
Here is a Beauty.

Feijoa UpsideDown Cake

Follow the instructions precisely.

Topping
50 g Unsalted Butter
1/2 cup (80g) soft brown sugar
6 large feijoas peeled and thinly sliced lenghtwise and tossed in
juice of a half of lemon to prevent browning.

Cake
50g unsalted butter softyened - not melted
1/c cup castor sugar
1 egg
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup golden syrup
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda (not baking powder)
1/2 cup milk.

Preheat oven 170c
Grease and line a 24cm springform tin with baking paper.
The topping is first;
In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter and brown sugar until sugar has dissolved.
Pour into lined tin.
Arrange Feijoas slices in an overlapping cricular pattern on top of melted mixture.
Set aside.
Careful placement of the fruit is a must as this is where the finished beauty lies.

The Cake;
In a large bowl or electric mixer, cream butter and castor sugar together.
In another small bowl, sift together the flour, ginger and cinnamon. Dissolve the baking soda in the milk seperately again.
Alternating between the milk and dry ingredients, add to the creamed mixture starting with and finishing with the dry mixture.
Mix until combined, then pour the cake batter carefully over the feijoas in the tin.
Bake for 40 minutes or until springy to touch.
Remove cake from oven and allow to cool.
Before turning cake onto a serving plate, run a knife around the edge to release.
Place the plate over the cake in tin then flip all (tin and plate together) and place the plate side down first.
Carefully release the spring form tin and remove with the baking paper.

Serve with whipped cinnamon cream or custard.

Cinnamon cream is 300ml cream, 2 tsp sifted icing sugar and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon whisked or whipped together.

Courtesy of Gemma Hefferman of Ripe Recipes.