Resurfacing nonstick cookware

andrew499, May 30, 8:23pm
Hi all.
Mum has an old Sunbeam electric frypan which she likes very much.however, the nonstick surface has definitely seen better days now.I was wondering if anyone knew of a firm who recoated nonstick cookware, and how much it would cost to have done.I'd be really grateful for any help on this, as Mum really doesn't want to chuck her pan out as it would cost the earth to buy a new one the same.That's even if this model is still available.

coast_palms, May 30, 8:29pm
I know this is probably of no help.but it would be more healthy to purchase something without a teflon coating perhaps!

nauru, May 30, 8:53pm
I agree, you would be better to buy a new one

beaker59, May 30, 9:00pm
I understand for the elderly its difficult when you are so used to what you have, but seriously its not worth it. It would cost more to get it recoated than a new one is worth. Keep an eye on the sales and get a new one which will be lighter and easier to use once she gets used to it.

pogram0, Jun 1, 8:13am
I would think her electric frypan would be a bit of a health hazard now.

andrew499, Jun 1, 9:03am
Thanks for all your suggestions.Unfortunately, Sunbeam no longer manufacture the big round frypans like the one Mum has.Looks like we'll have to get a square or oblong one.It hasn't gotten to the point of peeling yet, but it's not far away now.

tehenga288, Jun 1, 10:44am
There used to be a place in Dominion Rd behind the Caltex Station that resurfaced cookware - don't know if it's still there or not.

elliehen, Jun 1, 11:56am
Bumping for andrew499.this has to be good news!

andrew499, Jun 1, 8:43pm
Thanks for the link peope.Will have to keep a check on this one.i'll tell Mum about it as she'll have to see the photos as i'm blind and can't.

greerg, Jun 1, 10:54pm
I had an electric wok recoated a few years ago but wouldn't do it again. Looked immaculate but didn't last well.

tramore, Jun 2, 1:08am
The Homecare catalogue used to sell a spray to resurface non stick pans.you could possibly try them.that's where i got my spray and it works well.Not sure do they still do it but it might be worth a shot!

vintagekitty, Jun 2, 1:15am
suprise, suprise Briscoes is having a sale this weekend. I saw electric frypans are marked down. Sorry, not sure of the % though

gardie, Jun 2, 6:11pm
I brought a huge stainless steel electric frypan a few years ago - it can even go into the dishwasher and nothing sticks to it.Surprised even me I can tell you!I'd never buy a non stick one again.