Cake with flakey pastry?

Page 2 / 2
bambi58, May 19, 4:20am
I'm thinking of about 1965 here.

bluetigerrr, May 19, 6:06am
Hi - not what you're looking for but you might one day like to try to make this cake - Phyllo Cake. It's so easy and you could add the same ingredients to it:
http://tinyurl.com/72bos86

timturtle, May 24, 11:53am
thought i would bump this, as it is an old recipe.

unknowndisorder, May 26, 10:43am
Timturtle, that definitely looks a rough version of what I remember (not a put down, my cakes always look rough with the icing hehehe) :)
Was just coming in to look to figure out what ingredients I need to get tomorrow, so had missed your posts earlier :)

timturtle, May 26, 9:10pm
That cake was made using this method, and we always knew it as Neaoplitan cake, my grandmother used to make it, and I thght she baked the sponge, but no it was a EA one.

nickyd, May 27, 6:33am
We used to love a slice called Loulou cake- but that was a spiced cake mixture, raspberry jam and flaky pastry on bottom.Similar flavours to belgium slice - very yum!

unknowndisorder, May 28, 10:38am
I made my own sponge, used a sheet of pastry (cheated), made some curdled mock cream (ewww), so went with a spraycan of cream & a butter icing. Not quite right, but edible (oops, I'm a pig & had 3 pieces).

Will have to do it again & work on the icing/filling, but not bad for a first attempt.

For the sponge, I found one called trifle sponge here, which has a cup of flour in it, so was a pretty dense sponge. Husband thought it looked a lot of work (he'd been out a lot, so I didn't get the usual "oh, that didn't take long").

Thanks everyone for all your help, it was much appreciated (sorry no pix, it wasn't good enough for that lol).

unknowndisorder, May 28, 10:56am
I always use this recipe for the sponge cake for a trifle.

4 eggs separated
1 cup sugar
4 tbls cold water
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder

Separate the eggs, beat the sugar and egg yolk together until pale and creamy, add the 4 tbls water, mix then add sifted flour and baking powder and mix. Whisk the egg whites until the stiff peak stage and fold into the flour mixture. Pour into a greased lined baking tin and cook until top of cake springs back. 180 degrees for 20-25 mins depending on your oven.

I have used this sponge for a good old cake with cream and jam. Enjoy

Quoter.mascord (154 )11:07 am, Tue 20 Dec #10

timturtle, May 28, 9:27pm
I used Ernst Adams trifle sponge, cook bought flaky pastry ( prick it all over before cooking) and put a tray on top after its cooked to keep it flat while it cools. Then spread jam on the sponge add pastry then mock cream, then pastry again, then jam, and then sponge, then iced with normal icing.

The jam makes the pastry stick to the sponge. ( You jam the sponge not the pastry)

Mock cream is made with equal parts hot water, butter, sugar, which needs to be beaten for ages, it looks curdled, BUT becomes creamy after the all the beating