Walnut brittle

dolphin101, May 18, 4:19am
Has anyone got a recipe for walnut brittle made with glucose syrup and when made chocolate is spread on baking paper then brittle poured on top it is yummy

kiwigoldie, May 18, 8:43am
i dont have a recipe.but OMG I did buy some from the Hastings farmers market and it is to die for.and i dont like walnuts.i cant get enough!.damn the free samples that got me a taste of it :(

dolphin101, May 18, 8:58am
yes that is the one it is yummy that is were I tryed it kiwigoldie

babytears, May 18, 9:01am
This is a great recipe. substitute for walnuts

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ButtercrunchToffee.html

cookessentials, May 19, 4:31pm
2 cups (440g) sugar
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ cup (125ml) water
2 tablespoons golden syrup
60g butter, chopped
1½ cups walnuts
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
150g dark chocolate

Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.

Combine the sugar, cream of tartar and water in a medium saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Brush down sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water to dissolve any sugar crystals stuck on the side of the pan.

Bring to boil; boil, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until the mixture turns golden brown and reaches 149C on a sugar thermometer. This is called the hard crack stage.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in golden syrup and butter, return pan to heat and boil for a further minute. Remove the pan and add combined nuts and soda; stir until well combined.

Pour into lined baking tray; cool 10 minutes. Mark into small squares; cool completely. Break into pieces along lines once cool.

Melt chocolate in short bursts in a microwave on medium power or over a bain marie. Dip brittle pieces into chocolate and allow to set on a sheet of baking paper. Transfer finished brittle to an airtight container with baking paper between layers.

cookessentials, May 20, 9:44pm
You could probably also wait till brittle is cold in the pan, then spread with the melted choc, wait for it to set, then break it up.

dolphin101, May 24, 12:31am
thank ypu for the help as it is really yummy they have a good one over at the Hastings farmers market with i by when over there but would be nice to make it

cookessentials, May 24, 2:58am
You are most welcome