Corned beef

Page 1 / 2
pericles, May 17, 12:34am
in a slow cooker, how, please
I have no golden syrup

nauru, May 17, 12:57am
Use a little brown sugar or honey instead

beaker59, May 17, 1:07am
you don't need to add sugar in any form its unhealthy and serves no purpose, just water is fine or what I like is water with a splash of malt vinegar a few fresh bayleaves and some cloves.

herself, May 17, 2:42am
I use the Edmonds recipe for corned beef which has Golden Syrup in the cooking liquid, if you have none I would simply replace that with brown sugar.

pericles, May 17, 2:44am
what is the need for sugar anyway

mumstu, May 17, 2:44am
I agree with herself. That is always the way I make it.

karenz, May 17, 2:56am
I use brown sugar, malt vinegar, an onion studded with cloves, black peppercorns and the rind of an orange.

herself, May 17, 3:26am
I think that the addition of sugar or golden syrup helps cut the salty taste of the corned beef.I do notice the difference if I forget to add the golden syrup in my rush to get the crockpot on in the morning!

iman007, May 18, 12:03am
use the golden syrup as i keep some when beef is ready and i make mustard sauce with the elixer left over from beef. Gotta have mustard sauce, num num

herself, May 18, 1:47am
Oh Yes -Mustard Sauce is always on the menu with corned beef here too.:-) and it is so easy to make.Good old Edmonds!

elsielaurie1, May 18, 2:07am
.and pop chunks of carrot and parsnips in to cook as veges in the simmering brine as well.neared the end of cooking -the carrots before the parsnips, as they take longer to cook.yumooo!

cookessentials, May 18, 2:11am
What one person chooses, another may not. i say give your recipe and let the OP decide for herself which she prefers.
I cover the meat with boiled water from the jug and add malt vinegar, a tbsp soft brown sugar, sic whole cloves and a couple of bay leaves. i cook on high for about 6-7 hours, then reduce to low until serving time. I serve with creamy mash, carrots and quickly sauteed cabbage and either an onion sauce or the Edmonds mustard sauce.

allspices, May 18, 7:34am
Poster #3 Sugar is a taste additive, not poison.

grandma, May 18, 8:08am
cookessentials - that's how I cook mine too, but substitute the cloves with peppercorns.As I have an older crockpot, I cook it on high for most of the day.

terraalba, May 18, 8:35am
Yes, sometimes if I have time I stuff the cloves in the meat but the onion method is quicker. I use pepper corns, a few chillies, a couple of bay leaves and old celery and old carrots if available. I reckon the cloves and peppercorns are most important after the onion and syrup of brown sugar if out of syrup.

cookessentials, May 18, 8:56am
Hi grandma, my husbands Nanna used to do it this way and it is always lovely and tasty. I, too have the old Australian crockpot ( before they were in NZ) and it has either high or low LOL. Had it since 1983.

cookessentials, May 18, 8:58am
That should read SIX whole cloves LOL

clareo, May 18, 9:21am
Yuk - no thanks.

cookessentials, May 18, 9:35am
I dont think anyone actually asked if you wanted any! LOL

family007, May 20, 2:57am
Um DONT cover the meat with water. Just need to cover bottom of dish with water and slow cook 5-6 hours dependant on weight.

karenz, May 20, 6:23am
I slice the cooked corned beef thinly and put into a lasagna dish, make a mustard sauce and spread that over the meat and then put mashed potato and carrot over the top and sprinkle grated cheese over and bake.I also sometimes add lightly cookedshredded cabbage to the potato/carrot mix.
The cabbage is one of the few things I think cooks best in the microwave, just shred, sprinkle a little water on and add a dollop of butter.

cookessentials, May 20, 8:27am
Why not! I have cooked it this way for twenty odd years and husbands grandmother for probably 40 years prior to that and it is delicious, tender and flavourful.

nik12, May 20, 12:58pm
I also have always covered my corned beef with water (a splash of vinegar and a tablespoonish of golden syrup) an onion or two and carrots. added about lunchtime if doing in the slow cooker on low.
If I forget about time, the whole lot goes on at lunch time on high (corned beef usually still frozen)

ferrit47, May 23, 10:55pm
I put Brown Sugarvineger & pepper & salt in it.

beaker59, May 24, 1:04am
Don't think anyone mentioned poison! Sugar is unneccesary calories however and any health profesional will tell you we consume far too much of it it serves no purpose in corned beef so why use it.