How long can you keep sushi in the fridge?

leisap, Mar 12, 9:41pm
Made yesterday for the kids lunches and I have heaps left,will it be ok for a couple more days!

sarahb5, Mar 12, 9:43pm
It kind of depends what filling you put in it but the rice is the worst thing for listeria - I probably wouldn't eat it more than 24 hours after making

leisap, Mar 12, 9:44pm
thanks,I thought so.It has smoked salmon and surimi in it

davidt4, Mar 12, 9:53pm
The fillings may be vulnerable to listeria, but the greater risk is the rice, which can carry Bacillus cereus.

http://textbookofbacteriology.net/themicrobialworld/B.cereus.html

sarahb5, Mar 12, 10:08pm
I still wouldn't eat it after 24 hours regardless of what the particular strain of bacteria is having just had food poisoning from sushi that was supposedly freshly made that day - it was the filling that made me ill

purplegoanna, Mar 12, 10:22pm
i either eat on the day or that night or not at all.

nzmar, Mar 13, 3:23am
I never knew that about the rice.
What about the nori (is that the right name for the black stuff!) how long can does it keep once the packet is opened! or because it's dried seaweed does it just keep forever!

245sam, Mar 13, 3:31am
nzmar, yes nori is the correct name for the seaweed sheets and no, nori doesn't "just keep forever" but if the packet is resealed or put into a plastic bag or container it will keep for a very long time and you would know when it's past its best - it simply doesn't smell or taste fresh.:-))

nzmar, Mar 13, 5:11am
Thanks for that 245sam, that's exactly what I've been doing, putting it into a plastic bag and sealing so that's good to know :o)

kirstyd, Mar 13, 6:53am
I only eat it on the day it was made, mainly cos the rice drys out and goes hard.
Fresh is best.