I want to make beef swirls for dinner

babytears, Mar 13, 9:17pm
what is the mixture, sausage meat and mince! Do I add anything else to the mix! Also do I just roll the pastry and then spread out the mix and roll to create a pinwheel type of thing, then cut into slices. silly question I know

babytears, Mar 13, 11:41pm
Must be so silly that no-one knows. but I ended up googling it. thanks anyway

sarahb5, Mar 14, 12:43am
I don't even know what they are let alone what the recipe might be!

245sam, Mar 14, 12:55am
quote=sarahb5]I don't even know what they are let alone what the recipe might be![/quote]

sarahb5, picture a pinwheel biscuit made up ofe.g. a vanilla biscuit layer of dough topped with a chocolate layer of dough, then rolled up and the roll sliced into individual biscuits.The beef swirls are the same sort of thing except that the vanilla biscuit layer is pastry and the chocolate biscuit layer is a meat mixture.

babytears, sorry I can't/couldn't help you with how to make the beef swirls - obviously I know what they are and have enjoyed them but not for a long time and those ones were from a butchery.We actually preferred another slightly similar meat item that we used to get from a butchery near where I worked many years ago - it was (I think) called Swiss Roll but was actuallya beef mince "log" rolled in sausagemeat then the the sausagemeat was crumbed - either cooked as a whole piece of meat or sliced then cooked, it made a tasty meal.:-))

babytears, Mar 14, 2:34am
That's okay sam. it has been a very long time since I had them last. but good ole google helped :). I added all sorts of herbs and rolled it like a sushi roll

lindylambchops1, Mar 14, 2:39am
Which Google recipe did you use!I might make these next week.Thanks

slaintewesties, Mar 14, 5:50am
you meant swiss roll aye love this only tend to find it in old fashioned butchers

robman7, Mar 14, 6:42am
I do a mix of mince with herbs and seasoning breadcrumbs tomato sauce what ever,plus half a cup of flour to absorb any fats ,spread over a sheets of pastry sprinkle with grated cheese and roll up in a pin wheel shape,cut into pieces appox 4cm wide and place cut side down on baking paper on a baking tray, cook in a hot oven appox 2ominutes

robman7, Mar 14, 6:49am
Sorry that was 20 min cooking time, I also do the same using half sheets of pastry, good for finger food, also use sweet chilli sauce and curry powder for different flavors chopped mushrooms etc

lindylambchops1, Mar 14, 7:37am
Yum thanks robman7.

babytears, Mar 14, 7:38am

babytears, Mar 14, 7:39am
I have known them as beef swirls (maybe that was just a name I conjured up hahaha) as well as swiss rolls.

245sam, Mar 14, 7:51am
babytears, much as I'd like to give you the credit for coming up with the name, the name Beef Swirls or Lamb Swirls has been around for many years and that was what they were called when I used to buy them ready made.:-))

babytears, Mar 14, 8:18am
I was pottering away in the kitchen baking and I started thinking about this beef swirl/swiss roll business. and yes I realised I obviously didn't conjour up the name after all and yes that is the only name I know this as. not swiss roll. aren't swiss rolls the sponge rolled with jam and cream! Hmmmm

babytears, Mar 14, 8:19am
I thought about adding sauce, then when I made them I completely forget about adding it. but they turned out well, very tasty :)

lindylambchops1, Mar 14, 8:22am
I like the recipe you Googled, thanks, will give it a try!

winnie231, Mar 14, 10:11am
Beef swirls are a rolled & sliced meat/pastry item (think sausage rolls in a different form) while swiss rolls are a sausage meat/mince layered, rolled & sliced item.

guest, Apr 18, 3:46am
x2
i have brought some all ready made beef swirls from new world but dont know weather to fry them or bake them???? someone please help! what do i do?