Home made cheese spread recipe please

feebee10, Apr 10, 12:20am
we love cheese spread in the jar but it cost so much, does any one have a recipe to make it please

elliehen, Apr 10, 12:59am
x1
This one is from Alison Holst's 'School Lunches and Adfter School Snacks' book. She has a section devoted to 'one-swipe' sandwich fillings.

TANGY CHEESE SPREAD
Melt 50 g butter with 1-2 tsp flour and 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard in a pan, stirring all the time. Add 1/4 cup milk and stir until mixture bubbles and is smooth. Stir in 1 cup (about) grated tasty cheese and 1/2 tsp vinegar, taking off heat as soon as cheese melts. Refrigerate up to a week.

feebee10, Apr 10, 2:52am
thanks i will try, anyone else?

westigal, Apr 10, 6:09am
feebee I make a really simple one.
Mix 1 tbsp cornflour with 1 cup milk, ( in a small pyrex jug)
add 1 tsp mustard, (i use grain, but any should do the same trick).
heat in micro wave until bubbling, stirring after 1 minute.
Add 1/2 -3/4 cup grated cheese and stir, add salt and pepper to taste.
Nic and low fat, I use this on baked potatoes and caulifloer as well. Suppose it would last a week if it stayed around that long.

uli, Apr 10, 6:52am
I am sure if you give us a list of the "ingredients" off the jar - we can make a recipe up from that :)

hezwez, Jan 17, 5:08pm
Hi feebee10, the following recipe is from the Otago University booklet "Sandwiches and Savouries"
Savoury Cheese Spread:
1 well beaten egg, 2 t sugar, 1 t mustard powder. 1/2 cup milk, 500gm grated tasty cheese, 1 T butter, 1/4 cup vinegar and salt & pepper to taste.
Combine all ingredients and cook over hot water for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool a little and beat until smooth with a rotary beater. This will keep 2 ~ 3 weeks refrigerated. Use as a savoury butter, or thin with a little cream or milk to make a cheese dip.