Edmonds spicy sponge recipe?

sophie145, Apr 1, 11:44pm
x1
I need to know if anyone could look up Edmonds Spicy Sponge recipe for me I need to make this cake for tonite.I lost all my cookbooks in the earthquake in Feb. so have not had a chance to go out and buy new ones. Miss my cookbooks, and cannot remember this recipe off the top of my head as I obviously have "earthquake brain".

245sam, Apr 1, 11:59pm
sophie145, I have several different Edmond's books and none of them have that recipe in them - can you recall which version of the cookbook you had with the recipe in it and is "Spicy Sponge" the recipe's actual name in the book!

Wish I could help.:-))

indy95, Apr 2, 12:06am
I think I may have solved the mystery, 245sam. I assume sophie145 means this recipe.:

Light As Air Sponge

3 eggs
3/4 c sugar
1 dsp golden syrup
1 tbsp flour
1 t mixed spice
1 t cinnamon
1 t cocoa
1/2 t cream of tartar
1/2 t baking soda

Separate yolks and whites, beat whites until stiff. Add yolks, sugar and golden syrup, beat, then add sifted dry ingredients. Bake for 15 mins in 20cm sandwich tins at 190C.

I hope this is the one you want, sophie. I can't find another spicy cake recipe in my Edmonds book.

ayglepaygle, Apr 2, 12:06am
Yes - I've just been looking through my three Edmonds cookbooks and can't find a Spicy Sponge recipe. Perhaps it has another name!

sophie145, Apr 2, 12:11am
Thanks guys for your help indy95 that's the one see I knew I had earthquake brain.

245sam, Apr 2, 12:17am
Well done indy95 - I too hope that is the recipe that sophie145 is wanting.While I already appreciate my vast collection of recipe books, sophie145's loss of all her recipe books really makes me realise how lucky I was that on 04/09/10 almost everything was tossed around, but undamaged, in our study which is where I have to keep all my recipe collection because there would never be enough room for all the books, folders, etc. in the kitchen.
:-))Edited to add a further well done to indy95 and I'm so pleased for you sophie145 that you can now proceed with making this sponge that you have obviously previously-enjoyed.:-))

indy95, Apr 2, 12:30am
Well I haven't suffered from "earthquake brain" but can certainly sympathise with anyone who does. I haven't used my Edmonds book ( 80's version ) for several years but I knew there was a recipe for a spicy sponge in there. I feel the same way about my collection which I keep in a spare bedroom.