Ideas and recipes using Beetroot please

xtownie, Apr 3, 1:21am
I have a huge abundance of beetroot from our garden. Any suggestions on what I can use it for! Prefer Relish or Chutneys than cake though.

sharon.nz, Apr 3, 1:26am
I make wine/beetroot port from the liquid I boil from the roots instead of pouring it down the drain. Dont salt it when its cooking. just wash and boil skins and all, then I make Jam and chutney and slice it and pickle as usual with the rest of it. Beetroot is my favorite vege because there is absolutely no waste

makespacenow, Apr 3, 1:28am
my kids also love aoart from the chutney etc beetroot crisps.thinly sluce then dry in dehydrator/oven on lowest setting.

mwood, Apr 3, 1:35am
Recipe please - do you fortify the Port with spirits !

sharon.nz, Apr 3, 1:38am
No its just a recipe from an old New Zealand cook book that Iv had for years.They call it port but its a wine type recipe and seriously THE best one I make. I'll dig it out and write it in here later. Got the Energy smart man due here any min

elsielaurie1, Apr 3, 1:42am
These are recipes from my late Mum's recipe book - tried and recommended.

Jellied Beetroot (lovely with salads)
Remove the leaves from the beet, but be careful not to cut it as it will cause the beet to 'bleed' during cooking.
Wash and boiltill tender, don't add salt.
Keep the liquid. Skin and cut into rings.Put 1 cup of beetroot juice, 3/4c vinegar and 1 RED jelly in a pot and dissolve. Bring to boil. Add salt to taste.Place cut beets in a dish, pour over jelly mixture. Put aside to cool and set.

Beetroot Pickle.

Peel 2lb beetroot, 2lb onions and 3 apples, all cut small.
2 cups sugar, 1/4tspn pepper, 1 teaspn common salt.
Place in saucepan and cover with vinegar, and boil 3/4 hour. Take off heat and mash. Put back on heat and simmer fo 35 mins. Bottle whilst still hot.

bridget107, Apr 3, 2:33am
Yum! Lucky you having so much beetroot. A nice beetroot and feta salad would be delicious. This is a good recipe here: http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food/recipes/beetroot-chickpea-and-feta-salad/

jimmy2102, Apr 3, 2:46am
Google / ripe deli. Raw energy salad.
Absolutely devine.

fifie, Apr 3, 2:58am
Lucky you,love spiced beetroot bottled for the beetroot and feta salad, at the mo Mr is making beetroot and preserved ginger chutney for a change.

sharon.nz, Apr 3, 3:28am
Beetroot Wine or Mock Port = The Beetroot shopuld be just freshly dug to be used. Some quantity conversion required.
Take 4 Quarts (LOL) of Water and 4 lbs of Beetroot and 3 lbs of sugar.
Wash and cut up the beetroot and boil in water till tender.
Strain and boil the liquor again with the sugar added for 20 mins.
Strain again and work in 1/2 ounce of yeast ( Iv always just used an all purpose yeast from the home brew shop)
A little ginger may be added if desired. (Iv used it, try it both ways, but Ginger is good for health and so it Beetroot so its medicinal without arguement LOL)
Do not cork the bottles for some tiem. If kept till it is quite clear and dark it will taste exactly like port wine (according to the book) I also made it in a drum so left it covered with cloth for some tiem before bottling. Use dark bottles to maintain the unique poisonous looking purple red colour it is LOL
Cheers and Happy suppin.

dbab, Apr 3, 3:55am
I've been roasting mine.
Peel and cut into smallish chunks.
Mix together a lug of olive oil, a lug of balsamic vinegar, a crushed clove of garlic.
Place in a baking paper lined dish, cover with tinfoil and roast for about 45 mins at 180. Pour the remaining liquid over.
It's nice as a side dish or cold in a salad. I have added crumbled feta to cold beetroot too.

sharon.nz, Apr 3, 3:59am
Oh Yum stop it! LOL Now I want some

stormcat1, Apr 3, 6:49am
add brown sugar to the mix.makes them very sweet

valentino, Apr 3, 7:18am
Done their "Beetroot Cured Salmon" last week, it is lovely.