Walnut dip

totara571, Apr 11, 3:40am
i had bread and dips at a cafe over Easter and they served the most amazing walnut dip/spread.does anyone have a recipe for it! TIA

keruru, Apr 11, 4:20am
I'd say some walnuts and a hammer would be a good start!

cookessentials, Apr 11, 4:23am
This from the Listener. it has garlic in it, so not sure if is exactly what you want.

WALNUT AND GARLIC SPREAD

This toasty walnut dip is surprisingly mild. Use fresh sweet locally grown walnuts such as Uncle Joe’s from Marlborough.
150g fresh shelled walnuts
2 slices sourdough bread, crusts removed
2 cloves garlic, crushed
150ml olive oil
1 lemon, zest and juice
salt and freshly ground pepper
parsley for decoration

Preheat the oven to 170°C and roast the walnuts until toasted lightly – about 5-7 minutes. Meanwhile, soak the bread in water for a couple of minutes, then squeeze dry. Place the walnuts and garlic in a food processor and pulse until almost smooth. Add the bread and pulse again. Add the oil in a steady stream with the motor running until it is all incorporated. Stir in the lemon zest and juice, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Decorate with parsley. Serve at room temperature with raw vegetables or spread on crusty sourdough bread. Serves 10 with drinks. Wine match: a light red wine.

lilyfield, Apr 11, 4:27am
and to that add some crushed rosemary- oh so yummy

fifie, Apr 11, 5:07am
MMmm soundsyummy,will be trying this, thanks for sharing.

totara571, Apr 11, 5:13am
thank you cookessentials that sounds lovely im definitely going to try that this weekend.

jimmy2102, Apr 11, 5:45am
Yum thanks cookessentials, have just made your dip to go as a sauce for our roast chook, it can take quite abit of salt, georgous, i have made a similar sauce before but with the addition of roasted red peppers. Ill be making it again!