Surplus of feijoa

lilyfield, May 11, 5:51am
as I do not make jam ,so I have just invented a new version of chelsea buns.
make dough roll out- spread with peanut butter and lots of peeled thinly sliced feijoas, a few sultanas and walnuts scattered over it. Roll up, slice inch thick , sprinkle with extra sugar -cook in very hot oven like scones.

very jummy- I thought

retired, May 11, 6:23am
Hi - does anyone please have a reliable microwave Feijoa Chutney/Pickle recipe.I have made Feijoa and Ginger Jam but still have plenty of Feijoas!Many thanks.

glenn-ellyn, May 11, 7:09am
We have 60 feijoa trees and I have done the ginger/feijoa recipe.It's a winner with my husband.Has got him off marmalade for now lol.I have yet to make a chutney with them.

retired, May 11, 8:47am
Anyone please with a good chutney or pickle Feijoa Recipe.

elliehen, May 11, 9:13am
This one was given to me by a friend who said it's a simple and successful recipe.

FEIJOA CHUTNEY

3 lb peeled fruit (can leave skins on )
1 lb cooking apples
1 lb onions
2 1/2 cups vinegar
4 cups sugar
1 tblsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tblsp turmeric
Cut up the fruit & onions into a pan & stir well. Add remaining ingredients Stir well till sugar is dissolved.
Boil slowly for 1 & 1/2 hours – last 1/2 hour watch carefully. Thicken with a little cornflour & vinegar if required.
Put in ice-cream containers and freeze. Take out and put on a small dish with cream cheese and crackers just before your visitors arrive.

retired, May 11, 8:34pm
ellihen - many thanks will give the oven one a try.I usually use the microwave as it is so much cleaner and easier but have not tried with Feijoas!

evorotorua, May 11, 10:08pm
peanut butter and feijoa.sounds interesting and the more I think about, the more it is starting to appeal. Thanks for the idea. I bet that combination would be good in a muffin too.

elliehen, May 11, 10:33pm
Yes, that one is on my to-do list with the last of the feijoas.The flavours look very interesting.

retired, May 12, 12:30am
Has anyone tried making Feijoa Sorbet

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 cups of feijoa puree (around 16 large fresh feijoas, peeled)
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Place the water & sugar in a pot and boil for 5 minutes until the sugar is all disolved.
Remove from the heat, allow to cool, add the feijoa puree and lemon juice.

Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to the regular instructions or freeze the sorbet in a large metal bowl or tray that fits into your freezer, until the sorbet has half frozen ( the top will look crystalised ) - this should take around 1 to 3 hours. Using a whisk, or food processor beat the sorbet till light, fluffy and smooth then put back in the freezer. Repeat two more times.
Transfer the sorbet into a smaller container and cover until you're ready to serve.

village.green, May 12, 10:31am
Digby Law (NZ chef/author) has a lovely chutney recipe which I'm sure you can google. We make it every year. We also make jam and bottle them and stew them for a few minutes to eat cold and of course fresh with a spoon.

elliehen, May 13, 5:25am
Fresh with a spoon is a feast!And if you're outdoors under the tree without a spoon, all you need is a longish thumbnail to crack open a feijoa ;)

bev00, May 18, 11:26am
Feijoa paste
This is a must when you have a glut of feijoas. Serve with a tangy cheese and freshly baked oatcakes Makes 800g

Ingredients
10 ripe medium sized feijoas (about 1kg)
3 cooking apples
600mls water
600g sugar
Use a potato peeler to remove skin from feijoas. Roughly chop fruit and weigh: you need 300g of sugar per 500g of fruit
Put feijoa peel and cores and roughly chopped apples into a pan; barely cover with water. Cook until soft and mushy, about 10 minutes
Strain through a fine sieve, pressing firmly to get all the liquid from the apple
In a large heavy bottomed pot cook chopped feijoas in this liquid until soft
Push through a sieve or mash
Add sugar to the feijoa pulp; stir until dissolved
Cook slowly on the lowest heat, stirring every 2-3 minutes until thick
This will take about 3hrs - when its ready the spoon should start to meet resistance and the mixture will start to come away from the sides
Pour while hot into straight sided sterilised jars and seal with lids
As an alternative, line a straight sided flat dish with baking paper
Pour in mixture and smooth over with a knife
Give the dish a couple of taps on the bench to settle the paste
Leave to set for 2-3 days in a warm dry place, then cut into cubes when cold and firm
Dust cubes with icing sugar and pack in a tin or jar, or place box lined with waxed paper, with the added sifted icing sugar

febes1, May 19, 1:43pm
My mouth is salivating with all this talk of feijoas!

I miss them soooooo much.there are a couple of orchards over here now .pity the main one is up on the GC tho :(
I am very tempted to plant a tree in my central coast (by Sydney) garden & introduce my ozzie family to their deliciousness!.

bev00, May 31, 10:49am
Apple and Feijoa Cobbler
Ingredients
As many feijoas as you like
1 tin Apple Pie Filling (or stewed Apples)
100g butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp Brown sugar
1 Tsp Cinnamon
Extra Brown Sugar

Directions
Prepare the fruit
1. Grease a casserole or baking dish
2. Halve and scoop out flesh of Feijoas, just put straight into dish.
3. Add Apples
4. Sprinkle over extra brown sugar

Prepare the cobbler
1. Heat an oven to 180ºC
2. In a mixing bowl cream the butter and first measure of sugar together until light and fluffy
3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition
4. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and stir well to combine
5. Spoon the cobbler mixture over the fruit
6. Combine the second measure of sugar with Cinnamon
7. Sprinkle Cinnamon mix over the top
8. Bake for 50 mins or until cooked and golden brown in the middle.
Serve immediately with lots of ice cream or Custard.

Personally I double the cobbler sponge mix - my kids prefer a deeper sponge than the recipe makes. Goes a long way.

I hope you like this as much as we do.

Quotedjpablonz (149 )4:31 pm, Sat 7 May #4
You could probably cover the fruit of the cobbler with pastry, or blind bake the pastry and add the hot fruit , topped with custard.

Quotedjpablonz (149 )4:34 pm, Sat 7 May #5
My Spiced feijoa cake is the ultimate and adored by all who have tried it, especially freshly made. Here it is

500 grams feijoas (peeled and chopped)
2 tbls chopped crystallised ginger
125 grm melted butter
3/4 cup raw sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Preheat oven to 180C

Combine feijoas, ginger, butter and sugar. Stir really well. add egg.
Sift flour, baking powder, soda and spices together. Fold into feijoa mixture. Turn into lightly buttered ring tin.
Bake 35-45 min. Cool for 20 min in tin. Turn out and dust with icing sugar.

Quoteleannejames (344 )6:29 pm, Sat 7 May #6
I need almonds to make the fejoa & almond slice, the delicious fruit are still dropping and I just collected 6 shopping bags.

Edited by blt10 at 1:05 pm, Mon 30 May

Quoteblt10 (161 )1:01 pm, Mon 30 May #7
Something really simple. Peel & slice feijoas and place in saucepan. Add water to just cover, sugar to taste and 1 teasp vanilla essence. Simmer until soft and fragrant. Lovely with ice cream and or whipped cream or could use as a filling for pie.

Quotetrademequeen (79 )2:38 pm, Mon 30 May #8
I did a crumble, the nicest I've had. Feijoas in the bottom then the crumble made from 2 c rolled oats, 1/2 c chopped almonds, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 100 gm butter melted with 1/2 c brown sugar.

Quotewildflower (3)3:42 pm, Mon 30 May #9
as above crumble but also adding condensed milk to the crumble mix to taste