The Worst Job in the Kitchen has to be:

Page 2 / 2
norse_westie, May 12, 8:33am
Me too. Until I moved out after four years and realized it had never needed a good clean.Now I miss it SO much. Actually I miss the efficiency of it also.

corogirl, May 12, 9:58am
I am a landlord, so regularly throw out ovens that are much newer than my own 14 year old one. I have managed to *save* one occasionally by scrubbing with steelo's. Most ovens in my rental properties have a life span of8 years on average. My own 14year old onelooks like new and it was a cheaper oven than the rentals. I don't get it at all.

bill241, May 12, 10:27am
The new oven at work has this little drawer that you put a thing like a finish powerball in and it cleans itself like a dishwasher doing a cycle.I literally jumped up and down and squealed when I was shown this, oven cleaning is definitely the worst job at home or at work

lythande1, May 12, 8:22pm
I spray the racks at the same time as the oven. Done this for 22 years on one oven. Never caused an issue.

norse_westie, May 12, 8:40pm
Don't you check the oven as part of your regular inspections! My PM does. Every single time. And she is always amazed at how clean it is - I remind her each time that I get it professionally cleaned every 3 months, the week before she inspects!

fisher, May 13, 2:53am
Most of you seem to use oven cleaner.Some times the cans of BARBEQUE cleaner are on special and 2 for 1 sort of prices.I think its a bit more aggressive than oven cleaner and its just a matter of washing off with the garden hose and wiping dry with older tea towel.
Hint. Lay some paper down and the racks one on top of each other criss-cross. now spray the top rack as you normally would do and any excess will spray the other racks . turn this rack over and place onto another lot of paper. the last rack will only need a token amount of spray.now spay again placing each onto the original paper.place the second paper over the top and let it do its work. come back later to hose off.

rainrain1, May 13, 4:26am
I put a couple of large towells in the bottom of the bath to avoid scatching, place racks on top of towells, fill with hot soapy water to cover racks completely, and leave till water is cool enough to emerse your hands in, then clean with a goldilocks pot scrub or similar

kassie48, May 13, 6:04am
Spray, leave few hours, put through dishwasher

mamajama69, May 13, 1:09pm
Soak your oven racks in a bathtub overnight in a solution of really cheap hair conditioner.Baked on grease should rinse off with ease!

cj707, May 13, 1:33pm
In the bath or a rubbish bag overnight with some hot water and dishwasher powder.Comes off really easy.

jbsouthland, May 13, 8:18pm
this .layers of newspaper and racks .well sprayed then wrap up .leave as long as possible and you will find most gunk has dissolved.uses abit of spray so outside or garage is great idea.

bernice1, May 13, 10:46pm
I have had my own commercial kitchen and all I do to clean the racks (done monthly), is lay the racks in a large tub (buy yourself a plastic one if you dont have one large enough), and cover racks with hot water with 2 Tbsp of washing powder that has "enzymes" in it dissolved in the water.Leave to soak, everything then just wipes off.

barbmac33, May 14, 1:16am
Hi JB,how are you. I do the same as above but use a good slurp of 'Sugar Soap'.Will try the Washing Powder next time.Why make it a horrible job.

glynsmum, Jun 27, 11:37pm
Bill241 What is the make of the oven with the little cleaning thing please!

glynsmum, Jun 27, 11:39pm
bill241 What is the name of the oven that had a little compartment you put the cleaning thing like a dish wahser tablet please! Whoops sorry repeating myself

hunter246, Jun 28, 12:14am
Oven bags ;-)

ninjapussy, Jun 28, 12:29am
Take a large black plastic rubbish bag (unused), put racks in, then spray racks with oven cleaner, close bag and leave for 24 hours.Grime etc should then wash off in warm soapy water. If grime is still hard to shift may still need a rub with steelo (make sure you wear rubber gloves).Hope that helps.

duckmoon, Jun 28, 12:42am
Doh, meant soda.

bambi58, Jun 29, 7:47am
Okay lovely people, how do you clean gas stove ovens! You can't use any of the oven cleaner products, could blow yourself up!
I have a full gas stove, which I love, but the oven has always been a mission to clean. I always wipe it out after roast etc, (unfortunately others in the house don't) But it's getting hard work to scrub it out with steelos. The racks I do with steelos too.
If there's any other easier way to do this PLEASE HELP!

jessie981, Jun 30, 3:06am
Today my worst job is putting everything back into the cupboards as I had a new kitchen installed yesterday.

bill241, Jun 30, 4:16am
But on the other hand, NEW KITCHEN! Lucky you

suie1, Jun 30, 5:05am
Hot water in the laundry tub with laundry powder, soak for about 1/2 hr, works for me