Bread and butter pudding

Page 2 / 2
vampiriousmist, May 8, 5:04am
Can I make my pudding ahead of time ! eg my dinner is in the oven, so can I prep my pudding now for it to go in whendinner is finished ! Or not recommended as the bread would soak up the egg mix !

245sam, May 8, 5:10am
vampiriousmist, I always do so myself and my understanding from watching various TV chefs over many years, is that bread and butter pudding is better if (and should be) prepared in advance so that the bread can "soak up the egg mix".:-))

vampiriousmist, May 8, 5:24am
Cheers 245sam :) Will go prep it now :D

terachaos, May 8, 5:44am
Try crushed pineapple, shredded coconut and pieces of dark chocolate instead or either the jam or dried fruit.
A chef I know uses cream instead of milk and additional egg yolks as well as whole eggs. Love the stuff, but haven't made it in ages. Good thing about wintertime, there is a reason to indulge a little :)

vampiriousmist, May 8, 5:49am
I have no fruit lol so Ihave made a vanilla one using vanilla sugar and some vanilla extract in the mix :) Hoping it tastes okay with no fruit.

Edited to say: Darn ! I never thought of jam ! Maybe next time !

rozke, Jun 4, 1:37am
l make it in the microwave for a quick dessert and for a crunchy topping put it in regular oven

sarahb5, Jun 4, 3:24am
Just like bread pudding and bread & butter pudding - the only similarity between the two is that they both use bread and milk!

sarahb5, Jun 4, 3:24am
Just like bread pudding and bread & butter pudding - the only similarity between the two is that they both use bread and milk!

I like to make bread & butter pudding with panettone or spread alternate slices of the buttered bread with marmalade or apricot jam

moggyman, Jun 4, 3:41am
We have just made this recipe yum

BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING
6 small bread rolls sliced into 3 and buttered (these are the rolls from the supermarket that taste like cotton wool, but really work a treat in this pudding)
6 tablespoons dried cranberries
Hand full of frozen Raspberries
3 eggs beaten with 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 ½ tsp vanilla
Whisk in 3 cups of milk into the egg mixture.
Grated nutmeg
Preheat oven to 180degc.
Line ½ the bread pieces on the bottom of baking tin butter side down, top these with the cranberries and the raspberries and another layer of bread butter side up,pour over the liquid ingredients and sprinkle with some more cranberries.Grate the nutmeg over the top. Leave ten minutes, letting the egg mixture soak through .Put baking tin into a roasting dish, fill roasting dish with hot water until the water is ½ way up the depth of the pudding pan.Bake 30mins @ 180degC until just set, remove from roasting pan and return to oven at 100degC and crisp/dry out the top, I do this while eating our main course.Dust with icing sugar and serve with ice cream, custard or runny cream.
Mrs moggyman (made a few changes to an existing recipe frozen rasp work a treat.

molly37, Jun 4, 3:59am
We only have wheatmeal bread, can I use that. Or does it Have to be White!

sarahb5, Jun 4, 4:02am
don't see why you couldn't use wheatmeal - just will give it a slightly different flavour

biggles45, Jun 4, 4:20am
I use Mrs Beeton's recipe too.

suzanna, Jun 4, 11:30am
I have always had a jar in my fridge filled with all types of dried fruits and topped up with brandy mainly as a standby should I need to whip something up in a hurry- my Spanish DIL uses sherry. For a very decadent dessert I fill croissants with the fruit mix, insert a small amount of brandy butter (yes think christmas pudding) slightly layer them into a greased dish and pour over a custard made with cream, sugar and eggs. Bake in the usual way and serve with whipped cream or creme fraiche. Absolutely delicious and especially good for a different dessert for a mid winter Christmas.

bev00, Jul 9, 9:33am
"This is the best ever, once discovering this recipe, I never make any other !
Apricot Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding. 100g chopped dried Apricots ( the real ones, not turkish) - 100g chocolate drops - 4-5 croissants - 30g butter(diced) - 1/4 c sugar - 3 eggs - 600 ml milk. Tear 1/2 the croissants into biggish pieces and put in ovenproof dish. dot with 1/2 the butter, chocolate, apricots and sugar.Repeat with remaining croissants, chocolate, apricot butter and sugar. Whisk eggs with milk and pour over. Press down croissants so they soak up liquid. Put in fridge 1/2 hour. Bake 45 mins at 180'C.

wheelz (122 ) 2:29 pm, Sun 1 May #9 " :-))

guest, Mar 21, 12:48pm
Sorry Chef but I for one won't be celebrating "National Rice Pudding Day".And I can still vidivly remember the angst of being force fed rice pudding during the x-mas holidays while living in Puerto Rico as a youngster.Nope... I ain't ever gonna eat this stuff again. Lo siento.

guest, Mar 21, 9:09pm
Chef John, you've done it again... most amazing dsrseet I've ever eaten, let alone made all by myself! Thank you! My husband has had me up on a culinary pedestal ever since Sunday night when I served this up :-D

guest, Mar 24, 1:53am
Banana Pudding Bread2 cups all-purpose flour1 cup granulated sugar1 teoapson baking powder1/8 teoapson salt 2 eggs, lightly beaten1/3 cup vegetable oil1/4 cup milk1 cup mashed bananas1 cup vanilla pudding, already prepared (regular or instant)Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan.Place the eggs in a medium size bowl, and beat them lightly with a fork. To the eggs add the vegetable oil, milk, mashed bananas and the vanilla pudding. Stir the ingredients until combined.In a larger bowl combine the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Stir until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.